Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, I am located in Connecticut near Stamford and looking to connect with local builders. I got a complete kit Couple 65 last month and I am about to pull the trigger on a BluePrint (347ci) crate engine with EFI (Ford 347 Fuel Injected). BluePrint is using seasoned blocks and I have asked mine to be one between 1989 - 1995. Before doing that I am looking to connect with someone who has gone most recently through the registration process in CT. Here are my specific questions:

- Based on the info on the CT DMV website, the car will not have to go through an actual emission test but it still needs to be equipped with an emission system corresponding to the engines year. In this case: "1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor". Does this reflect your understanding and/or experience with the CT DMV?

- The website reads: "Documented proof for the engine's year must be provided by the applicant" - Do you know what kind of proof would be acceptable to the DMV if I use a crate engine with a used block? It does not seem that in this case I can get a title of the car from which the block was coming from. Ford cast numbers that start with E indicate 1980-1989 and those with F indicate 1990 - 1999. What should I ask BluePrint to provide me with so can prove this to the DMV?

- Also based on the website I need for the registration "the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component part OR one Title, plus receipts for the parts of the other vehicles used." Again, what would be acceptable to the DMV if I use a crate engine with a used block from BluePrint? I will have the certificate of origin from FFR and sales receipt and engine number for the powertrain from BluePrint, would that suffice?

-Any other items I should be prepared for as I am building the car and before going through registration process would be appreciated.

Sofar, I have not connected to any builders here in Connecticut. I would love to connect to any local folks for build-related questions and exchange.

Thank you
Al

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Welcome! The emissions requirement changed a few times while I was building my roadster. You may want to contact the DMV to clarify / confirm the requirements. I am not familiar with the nuances of a coupe build but hopefully others can chime in. Best of luck with the build! We have a great group here in CT. It can be a bit quiet on these message boards at times though.

-Jared

Reactions: Alvaz

·
Senior Charter Member
1,854 Posts
I'd suggest reaching out to Carlos Henriques as he just went through with his roadster a few weeks ago. Check his thread alittle below this one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I registered my mk4 a few years ago and provided a receipt for the used engine that I bought - no car title. I provided a picture of the casting stamp on the block as verification of the year and type.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,797 Posts
I posted this on the other forum, but posting here to help others as well:

Whatever you do, make sure you get the vehicle inspected and registered ‘in the year the body most closely resembles’, and you get classic plates, or you could be subjected to insane annual vehicle property taxes!

In my research and connecting with other forum members, the key is getting the vehicle assigned as 1965 Cobra Replica, rather than 2020. Having the 1965 Replica COO should be what they use. With the 1965 inspection and registration, you will be able to get classic plates, which caps your annual property tax assessment at $500. If they assign it in the year it’s assigned a VIN, for example 2020, you risk the tax office punishing you for the next 20 years for your hobby, by assessing your car at over $50,000. At roughly $1500 per year, that’s a lot of cash over 20 years to own a piece of replica property. Not worth the $30,000 premium to me, if I had to start over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd suggest reaching out to Carlos Henriques as he just went through with his roadster a few weeks ago. Check his thread alittle below this one.
Thanks Dave! I have connected with Carlos which was super helpful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Despite what the CT DMV composite vehicle guide states, you don't need all of the emission components based on the engine year that you're using. A 1965 cobra has no emissions, therefore you can use any year block including new coyote engines.. my inspection process was a little tense and not because my car wasn't ready, but because the inspector wasn't familiar with the process.. after getting very good information from the members here, I still had many questions. I found the DMV composite guide confusing to me.. during the last month of my build, i contacted the wethersfield inspection lane, left several messages and it took about a week before anyone returned my call. I finally got in touch with inspector Mark who was a great help. we talked almost every week and he willingly answered all my questions and gave me advice along the way.. advice on the exhaust wrap and shield, seat belts and tags, what type of clamps, fuel neck hose must indicate 'fuel', all brake lines can not have unions and must be secured at every 18", same as fuel lines and electrical harness, must have reflectors on side fenders, all major components (engine, transmission and transaxle) must have numbers that match the invoice/receipt (casting numbers are ok to use) and paperwork required.. we made plans for us to meet at the inspection lane, but due to the weather, I didn't make there that day. I finally got a clear day and hauled the car to wethersfield. I was disappointed to find that inspector Mark wasn't there that day. Anyway, I followed the directions of the inspector on duty. Called the number that he gave me to pay for the inspection and once he got the receipt of payment, told me to unloaded the car and pulled up the the station. One inspector began to look at the car, had me check the lights, wipers and horn.. I provided my paperwork to another inspector as requested.. he then focused on the seat belts and told me that were NOT legal citing wrong label. I explained that the belts were purchased based on inspector Mark's advice. He argued with me for a few minutes until I called Mark. After Mark's conversation with the inspector, the belts passed.. the inspector then became very belligerent and scrutinized my documentation as he continued with the process. He then told me to take the car out of the lane. I asked for my VIN number and he said that I wasn't getting one and to use the Factory Five chassis number. Stated that the car would be registered as a composite. I again explained that it wasn't what inspector Mark had told me. We argued for a few minutes and he stated that he has inspected over 100 cobras in the last 20 years and has never given out a VIN #s for these cars. I advised him that I'd call Mark again.. at this point, he told me to remove the car and that he was going to call Mark himself. I loaded the car and about half an hour later he returned with a VIN sticker in his hand and placed it on my car.. he apologize to me, said that he's been doing this wrong for many years. He then corrected all my paperwork and changed it to a 1965 cobra.. I called Mark on the way home and thanked him for his help.. he couldn't believe that the inspector didn't know the procedure..

Because of COVID19, I had to make an appointment to registered my car.. it was recommended to use the wethersfield office but there was a two months waiting time so I made one with the Norwalk office..and two weeks later got there. And sure enough, the person at the counter had no idea how to process it. I explained to her that the car needed to be registered as a 1965 cobra. After about half an hour with her reviewing the process with he supervisors, she agreed with me.. got classic plates..registered as a 1965 cobra roadster..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Carlos,
I am about to order a kit and I am in CT as well. Can you tell me what is acceptable as a reflector on the rear fenders? What did you use?
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
148 Posts
They are not specific on where to place the reflectors, as long you can see them from the rear of the car and facing the side of the car.. I placed my reflectors before i reached the DMV inspection lane.. removed them after i left. Didn't want the glue to damage the paint.. lol
Where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are not specific on where to place the reflectors, as long you can see them from the rear of the car and facing the side of the car.. I placed my reflectors before i reached the DMV inspection lane.. removed them after i left. Didn't want the glue to damage the paint.. lol
Where are you located?
Thanks, for the info.
I am in Cheshire. Took a ride down to FFR on Friday and spoke with Dave Smith for a while to get a better sense of the product and company.
Probably order within the week. Will be doing the coupe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice, not familiar with the inspection process for the coupe. everything should be the same except the exhaust. Not sure if you need heat shields or wrap since the exhaust is tucked into the body.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts