Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We’ve added several new carbon fiber body options for the Mk4 Roadster and ’33 Hot Rod. These options are now in stock, and available for purchase on our parts catalog – www.factoryfiveparts.com.

Carbon Fiber Roadster Dash – $475

This is the same carbon fiber dash with glovebox that was apart of our 25th Anniversary Mk4 Roadster! Upgrade from the standard aluminum dash and vinyl padding to this pre-formed carbon fiber dash.

Note: Gauge and steering shaft template included. Fits Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, and Mk4 Roadsters. Does not fit the 289 USRRC Replica.

Hot Rod Carbon Fiber Engine Side Covers with Louvers – $999

Upgrade your ’33 Hot Rod engine side covers with these carbon fiber engine side covers that feature louvers to help keep the engine bay cooler. The side covers are clear coated and are 3 mm thick.

Note: For use with the ’33 style grill only.

Hot Rod Carbon Fiber Bike Fenders – $1,499

Upgrade your ’33 Hot Rod fenders with these carbon fiber fenders! The side covers are clear coated and are 3 mm thick. Fit the Hot Rod and Speedstar.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What is the country of origin ??
You know the answer!!! See their facebook page for a full explanation. With limited domestic companies offering this type of product at 4x the cost it is either import or not offer it. I too am in manufacturing and at a fraction of the cost.....and thru careful vetting a quality product is obtainable.....it is tough justifying NOT importing. They are not buying cheap crap but affordable quality parts.
Without getting political most US companies are only after the $$$$.
I stand behind F5R 100%.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Yes Adam,I do know the answer and my beef is not where they are made, but the fact that on their website, The front page has this statement:

Read the last sentence and then tell me that this is the way it should be handled.

The Built, Not Bought Company!
Factory Five Racing was founded in 1995. Over the years we have grown from a start-up business in a small garage to become the world’s largest manufacturer of "build-it-yourself" component car kits. We employ a full-time crew of about 40 people, and are located in Wareham, Massachusetts (about an hour south of Boston).

We make our products right here in the USA, in the heart of New England where American manufacturing was born.

·
Registered
384 Posts
So should they not offer these items? Just because it is made in USA doesn't mean it is a quality product......just more expensive.
l think they made a wise business decision and they fulfilled what customers asked for.
I am as patriotic as the next guy but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
So should they not offer these items? Just because it is made in USA doesn't mean it is a quality product......just more expensive.
l think they made a wise business decision and they fulfilled what customers asked for.
I am as patriotic as the next guy but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this.
I don't care if they make their parts in China or BFE. But it does bother me when they advertise that their parts are made in the USA., when it is not totally true.

·
Registered
490 Posts
What are their products, Derald? In my mind, their products are the kits as a whole. The heart and soul of the kit is the frame, which is manufactured on site, and the body, which is also manufactured on site with the exception being carbon fiber. Where possible and practical, they source American made components, and where they have to, they source imported components.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is an item, component, part, or product. If it is made outside of the USA, then they should not advertise that

"We make our products right here in the USA, in the heart of New England where American manufacturing was born. "

A list ??

wheels
steel 33 body
F9 body
33 fenders
roadster dash
steering wheels

·
The Traveler
3,096 Posts
Here is the problem - where you look at the words without understanding their legal meaning. If you want to question the Made in America phrase then you kind of have to understand what it's legal meaning is.

It comes down to the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.
What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content. Defining the significant parts and the process by which they are made is what the courts would look at.

If FFR makes an optional part that is NOT manufactured in the USA they can still claim Made in the United States for their product, as all significant parts of the product are made in the US. The product is not sold with the carbon fiber dash, it's an optional part.

What is FFR product?
My friends at the First Circuit District court, in Boston, tell me that they would consider the chassis, and body the significant products which are made in the USA. When you sit in court - I worked for the courts for a number of years - and listen to arguments and opinions you begin to understand the courts define phrases and words differently then we the "common people" do.

Here's a link that makes great bedtime reading :)

Then you have to search federal cases - the PACER system. PACER allows anyone with an account to search and locate appellate, district, and bankruptcy court case and docket information.

The other place is $$ but it's the search engine that law students, and attorney's use Lexisnexis! It has every option, from every court in the land.

OR a new way to read new meaning into words! ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is an item, component, part, or product. If it is made outside of the USA, then they should not advertise that

"We make our products right here in the USA, in the heart of New England where American manufacturing was born. "

A list ??

wheels
steel 33 body
F9 body
33 fenders
roadster dash
steering wheels
what if the buy it from a US third party.....ffr is then buying it domestically (now at a marked up price) ?
Do you actually think every single part is "made" in the states? Hardware, connectors, gauges etc??
Just build the car and enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I think if you take the contents of the complete roadster kit which makes up the majority of FFR's sales volume, to claim all or virtually all parts are made in USA does not stand up. To make a qualified claim of say over 75% made in USA based on cost is probably true. It is easy to add offshore sourced parts and still hold to a majority made in USA claim when the parts cost is say 1/8 or less of what they would cost if made in USA if they were even available.
Don't let 'em get to ya Derald! It's called salesmanship. FFR does do a lot of manufacturing in Wareham and they have stayed in business and stayed vibrant through some difficult circumstances. I doubt they would still be in business if it were not for offshore sourcing. Not all offshore is the same. I feel better about a part made in Tiawan than China.
Don't let 'em get to ya Derald! It's called salesmanship.

·
Registered
601 Posts
...my beef is not where they are made, but the fact that on their website, The front page has this statement:

We make our products right here in the USA, in the heart of New England where American manufacturing was born.
Do you think FFR has misrepresented themselves as as providing only american made parts/products? I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the real issue is a delta between your perception of what it says and what it actually says. Read it closely.

It does NOT say “...we make all of our products right here in the USA...”

They aren’t speaking in absolutes, and this isn’t black & white. Saying “we make our products in the USA” on their website is still accurate, even if a portion of stuff is from a different country or origin.

Additionally, if you drive any American vehicle there are potions of of it made elsewhere in the world. I don’t think a 100% american car has been produced since the 70s.

Regardless, FFR still makes the bulk of their products here in the US, and at a minimum they are engineered in the US. Bottom line, if you want to feel all warm and fuzzy by supporting America then buy from an American company. FFR is one of those American companies deserving of our business.

BTW, support Mark Reynolds too. He’s a solid guy and his company Breeze offers some wonderful products too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts