Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been lurking in the background for a while reading every post. I have also been chasing Cobras since I was 15. At that time, a guy got out of a Cobra while I was in a parking lot, I always loved cars so I starting talking to him, he actually gave me a ride and I was bitten. 20 years later, I placed my deposit down on a complete kit yesterday (5/8/12) with a ready to ship date of targeted for 6/9/12

I am new to posting in forums, etc but I get it and I want to do a build thread with this as my first post. I hope to mirror so of threads in information, questions and commentary like HIRSC (I have gotten a lot of awesome ideas), mirose (I love the commentary), the casey family (Mrs. Casey just kills me), etc. I know, no thread is complete w/o lots & lots of pics, I will make sure I do my part so you guys can comment and point out things that you think might improve my build, help solve the challenges and questions along the way.

A little background, I live on the east end of long island within a few miles of the Long Island Game Farm for those local to the area. (I am hoping there are a lot of builders out this way) I have a loving wife who is very supportive of the build and been egging me forward under the conditions she does not have to help out and I agree she does not have to cook for a year. (She does cook anyway so it was not as big as a give as it sounds). Two kids, son 18 just accepted to Northeastern and is going to do his first semester in Australia (He is going to AUSTRALIA and I went Troy NY to RPI – I want to comeback in my next life as him!!!). And I have a daughter 17, who loves cars, God bless her soul. She is super excited about this project.

So enough on the family… The goals of my build – ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!!!!

I want to build funny road car NOT a racer, no track time, I am not looking for 500 horses, I want something that when I jump on it, it is fun but I am not spinning the wheel in 15 directions trying to get it uncontrolled.

Here is what I have on my preliminary order with FF5. Also I am signing up for the build school and going to the FF5 Open House on June 9 to talk to other builders and get a closer look at as many cars as I can.

• Complete Kit with cut outs
• Electric Ultra-lite gauges (I am still not sure I might go vintage)
• Thinking a 302 with a TKO 500 b/c I want a mid shift, I do not like the look of the angled forward shifter. And if I ever beef the engine up…
• Ford Racing unequal length shorty headers from FF5
• Competition Aluminum Racing sits (Not sure on this, I want to see more pic – I will do a passenger side roll bar if I go this way)
• Std width IRS with 5 lugs
• I want Power Brakes & Steering – FF5 suggested NOT using the Wilwood Pedal box and going with 96’-04’ mustang pedal box. Also suggested 93’ mustang GT stearing rack w/inner & outer tie rods. And a power steering Rack extension
• Wheels 2 @ 17”x9’ & 2 @ 17 x 10.5”
• Bumper Kit
• Stainless side exhaust
• Wind Wings
• Wiper Kit
• Battery Cut off
• 4.6 Hydroboost Kit
• Oil Cooler – Not sure I will make it functional
• Wilwood Brake upgrade – Red Calipers w/ drilled & slotted rotors
• Deforster/Heater/AC kit NOT ORDERED but they recommended Whitby’s

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Other items I want to add to the build, they are listed in not particular order…

• ISIS Power System
• Billetworks clamps for fuel & brake lines
• I love these Billet Roadster Hinges - https://www.caseydesignproducts.com/catalog/roadster-hinges-temp
• Russ’s Turn signal - Turn Signal System at the MK3 Roadster Shop of RT's Custom Cobra Car Parts
• Firewall forward Kit to make room for the heat/AC/Defrosters - FFMetal.com - Welcome and Products
• Breeze Gas Pedal - Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing
• My feet are always hot. In a normal car I take my shoes off when I drive so I was thinking of this vents plus I will really need to research how to insult the footbox - Footbox vents CobraEarl.com - Creature Comfort FFR Parts
• FFMetal Battery Box

As for tools, I have collected a lot of the years, I learned long ago to stop and go get the right tool instead of forcing it with what you got and making the project 5 times longer and harder.

• I need a new air compressor hoses, riveter, etc but I am interested in lifts, I spoke with rscocca from the forum and he is going to send me the mfg of a smaller truck lift.
• Seems like builder want a small right angle drill.
• Torque wrenches - seems like every builder has one and then says they have to go buy an extender or fork? Suggestions so I can just get what I need the first time
• Brake Flare is a must Professional Brake Tubing Flaring Tool - Brake Flaring Tool - Brake Tube Flaring
• Rivet fan

I am sure there are a lot more but anything you guys want to throw out I am interested in hear about… I know how much you guys like to spend someone else’s money so I am sure as we go along you will suggest other things…

Lastly I will put a signature up after I get past 10 Post and the system enables that function. I will also upload my first pic of the garage before the clean up garage project, now where are those damn kids? And I figure out how to upload a pic...

Let The Journey BEGIN!!!!!

· Cobra Builder
1,714 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you have a sound plan, make sure your build is set up to take care of emissions requirements for Downstate NY and have clear title to all your build parts.

It is not hard to get your build properly approved for registration, just have to follow "their" rules.

Be sure to look this thread over, but emission requirements are different for your area. Call Tom Noonan to get the straight scoop.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-ins...cussions/221630-nys-registration-process.html

PM me your email and I'll include you to the growing NY C0bra list.

Good Luck,

Pat

· Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the madness. THere are alot of people here who will help spend your money.

If you want to see Casey design hidges and dash up close, I'll swing by one day.
I have the ISIS system in the car, very easy to work with and set up.
Order ISIS dash kit and inlight module for easy light wiring.
Rivet fan- dont order one. I'll send you mine, never used it.

Cheers,
Bob Scocca

· Registered
274 Posts
Congrats!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've bitten by the "Mods" bug and have already found some cool build ideas for your build.

Not sure why FFR said to go with a Mustang pedal box? Maybe because of your plan to do Hydroboost power brakes. Mike Forte offers a Hydoboost kit and a Wilwood pedal box modified to work with the hydroboost. And Whitby's offers a good power brake booster system that I think works with a Wilwood pedal box. Both good vendors.

More fun to come!
Tom

· Registered
11,831 Posts
I grew up in (on?) Long Island too! Manhattan, Jamaica (Queens), Mineola, Hicksville (teenage years), then back to Manhattan.

MY COMMENTS:

• Complete Kit with cut outs GOOD IDEA, KEEP IN MIND YOU STILL HAVE SOME TRIMMING TO DO

• Electric Ultra-lite gauges (I am still not sure I might go vintage) ELECTRIC - GOOD IDEA, NO NEED FOR A SPEEDO CABLE, YOU'LL SKIP THE BOUNCY NEEDLE GREMLIN

• Thinking a 302 with a TKO 500 b/c I want a mid shift, I do not like the look of the angled forward shifter. DON'T FORGET THE "FEEL" OF THE ANGLED SHIFTER. IT'S A DIFFERENT AND FUN DRIVING EXPERIENCE. SEE IF YOU CAN SIT IN A FFR AT A CAR SHOW AND RUN THRU THE GEARS. ULTIMATELY UP TO YOU, JUST A THOUGHT.

• Wheels 2 @ 17”x9’ & 2 @ 17 x 10.5” SPEND A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS ON "BETTER THAN SUMIMOTOS". IT WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR "15 DIRECTION THING"

• Wind Wings - A MUST, GOOD CHOICE, YOU'LL NEED VISORS IF YOU ARE +5'-10", OTHERWISE, YOU'LL LOSE YOUR YANKEES/METS/JETS/GIANTS/BILLS/NETS/KNICKS/ISLANDERS/RANGERS CAP! :)

• Oil Cooler – Not sure I will make it functional PROBABLY NOT NEEDED IF YOU ARE NOT TRACKING THE CAR, LOOKS COOL, THOUGH!

• Wilwood Brake upgrade – Red Calipers w/ drilled & slotted rotors

• Firewall forward GREAT IDEA IF YOU HAVE HEATER, DEFROST AND A/C (Firewall forward can interfere with wipers. Keep it in mind.)

• Vented footbox - awesome, and add www.fatmat.com - the best $100 you can spend on the car. 100 sq foot will do the whole cockpit, but only if you are very careful not to waste too much.

-Build school will save a tremendous amount of time and money, even if you don't build exactly like they do at the school. Over 80% of it will be the same, and you learn all sorts of tips & tricks.

-Download my "build tips" document in the link below, there used to be 101 of them, but with the MK4 lots of them have been deleted (thankfully)

Look at Bob Scocca's videos if you need motivation!

I am here every weekday at the tail end of my lunch break if you need anything!

:wave:

p.s. - i hate to ask already, what color do you plan for?

:)

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've bitten by the "Mods" bug and have already found some cool build ideas for your build.

Not sure why FFR said to go with a Mustang pedal box? Maybe because of your plan to do Hydroboost power brakes. Mike Forte offers a Hydoboost kit and a Wilwood pedal box modified to work with the hydroboost. And Whitby's offers a good power brake booster system that I think works with a Wilwood pedal box. Both good vendors.

More fun to come!
Tom
Tom - Thanks for the response. I will look into both options regarding the pedal box

Sal

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eddie - Thanks for taking the time to reply to my individual points. I downloaded the 101 doc and will read it over the weekend.

As for color I am all over the map right now but I definitely want something that stands out. More of a darker color with dark stripes not a blue and white type... I am looking forward to the open house so I can see a whole variety of builds/colors/mods/etc

· Registered
11,831 Posts
going to the open house AND build school? i envy you - it's the RIGHT way to do it.

don't forget, try out different seats @ the open house! for most of us, it was a crap shoot.

:icon22: :icon22: :icon22:

· Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Hi Sal,

As far as the pedal box, I have Wilwood pedals mounted to Hydraboost and Hyd clutch. when I get it back from Body shop you'll be able to go thru it with a fine tooth comb and explore all your options.
Here is a link to my Photobucket account take a peek--http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/?start=all

· Junior Charter Member
35 Posts
Rpi

Sal,

Welcome to the forum. When did you graduate? I graduated in 96 with my BSME. I live in St. James (not as far east as you). I dont have a kit yet, one of these years.

Anthony

· Master Builder
1,243 Posts
Holbrook

I live in Holbrook and Built a MK III for "wastehauler". The first trip to Open House took a "Most Innovative Award". In fact right at the moment I'm installing new headrs and side pipes and doing some carb tunning. I also just assisted another member with his MK 4.
If your just hanging out tomorrow and want to stop by and see "Wastehaulers " car drop me a PM.

Kenny

PS I know the Gamefarm from the old NY National Speedway days.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sal,

Welcome to the forum. When did you graduate? I graduated in 96 with my BSME. I live in St. James (not as far east as you). I dont have a kit yet, one of these years.

Anthony

I was the class of 89, I grew up in St james, lived on Long Beach Rd and hung out at Patio Pizzia, etc.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok it has been a little while since I posted but I have been really really busy. Reading the forum non stop, traveling for work, going to F5 for a tour, no one was there but David so he gave us a tour and took my daughter & me for a test drive that included donuts in the paroling lot AWESOME!!!! (I will work on getting that video posted, right now I am still working on figuring out how to post pictures), we went back for the F5 open house, took pictures next to my completed kit, we been working to get the garage ready, spackling, painting, epoxying the floor, getting tools, etc. I know it did not actually happen unless I post a picture so this is more of a quick update so I can make sure I can post picture

The garage

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Congrats!!! i feel your excitement. We went through the same process in december as you. It only gets better and better!!!

· Registered
79 Posts
I got a call from the Stewart driver saying he is dropping off my car on Thursday morning. He said he was heading to Long Island first. I'm guessing that is yours. I live in Michigan now (about an hour from build school), but I'm originally from LI too. I grew up mostly in Mastic, but moved away right after high school when I joined the Navy. I'm actually going back to the Island at the end of July to visit family. Good luck on your build.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the note -yup that was my car unfortunately I was not home b/c of business so my son and his friend accepted the car. If you are coming home in July stop by I live in manorville - I am assuming you are familiar with the ice cream cottage we there tonight
I got a call from the Stewart driver saying he is dropping off my car on Thursday morning. He said he was heading to Long Island first. I'm guessing that is yours. I live in Michigan now (about an hour from build school), but I'm originally from LI too. I grew up mostly in Mastic, but moved away right after high school when I joined the Navy. I'm actually going back to the Island at the end of July to visit family. Good luck on your build.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car is HERE!!!!

So I finally made it home late last night and rushed into the garage to see this shiny red car sitting on jack stands. On my way home I stop in NJ to meet and talk with Michael (mirusa) He was kind enough to walk me through his build, shared what he had learned, he let me sit in so I could get a feel for the footbox, etc and he also started it up. Damn it sounded sweet. Boy I have a long long long way to go, a bare frame, 36 boxes, a so called manual and a keg of beer... Here are a few pictures of the delivery. The guy in pic is Bob from Stewart Transport

The two horse (ok man) engine

My son signing my life away

Bob from Stewart - THANKS but you forgot to assemble it...

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats!!! i feel your excitement. We went through the same process in december as you. It only gets better and better!!!
Mike - Thanks for the comments. I actually saw you and your wife at the open house but you were busy talking to David and unfortunately I never did get the chance to introduce myself. But I have been reading your family build thread... Awesome stuff Good luck getting her (the car not the wife) ready for paint!!

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Mike - Thanks for the comments. I actually saw you and your wife at the open house but you were busy talking to David and unfortunately I never did get the chance to introduce myself. But I have been reading your family build thread... Awesome stuff Good luck getting her (the car not the wife) ready for paint!!
You should have said HI! I just look like a jerk, but if you talk to me, i start to be nice :) Problem for me at the open house is i was over whelmed with all the excitement. Its like i go into zombie mode!!! LOL!!!

· Registered
2,302 Posts
oh yea, we had the same delivery guy. Really nice guy!! Congrats on recieving it. Honestly, it gets better and better. This is really a great investment for your well being. It has been the basically the best journey of our life and the people involved with this hobby are top shelf.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.