Factory Five Racing Forum banner

New Build F Panel Question

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  phileas_fogg 
#1 ·
So I'm going to post a pic. Im wondering if something is off here. The F Panels are identical as expected, however I think the front of the frame is off for some reason. There is no way to line up the F panel on the drivers side for it to fit in that triangle area unless I protrude over the top of the frame and past the front into the rad area. In other words, I would need to modify the F panel a lot to make it fit.
Hood Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
any pics of how it wants to fit on the frame?
I can see that the factory drilled holes for the machine screws aren't symmetric. keep in mind those are usually pretty hastily placed and may not be the true location of your panel.

#5 · (Edited)
Yah, I’m aware of that. There really is no way to place that F panel without going over the frame rails somewhere quite a bit.

#6 ·
I'd say get it as close as you can and trim if necessary. given the fact that the F panels don't really contact anything else (except the elephant ears), fitment is less of an issue.

#8 ·
Yah, that was my first thought.. however what concerns me more, is the fact the each F panel is exactly the same.. cause they are laser cut I’m assuming?… so why are they different on the frame?.. first and only thought is the frame is crooked? Are both sides of the frame suppose to match?

#9 ·
The F panels are identical… I don’t have a third to reference it to. Just very strange. Crooked frame?

#10 ·
car's not exactly symmetrical. even though they have jigs to hold everything in place when welding, there may be some slight warping that makes things out of alignment a bit.

#11 ·
Hmm I wonder. Anyway, seems way off lol. I have tons of time on this one cause I have nothing else to work on lol. Front suspension, brakes and rear same thing are all backordered.

#12 ·
go ahead and drill all your panels at once so you only need to clean up the shavings once. you can start working on wiring of dash, wiring harness, pedal box, ebrake, hard brake and fuel lines, etc.

#15 ·
I just received a reply from them.

"Considering these panels only block the engine bay from tire debris when driving, they will serv there purpose just fine as you show them mounted on the left and right sides."

I replied asking this, "Can you tell me if the frame is in fact symmetrical, specifically in the front? I understand your response with regards to the F panel’s purpose however it just doesn’t make sense to me that it would be that different, unless the frame was welded wrong, or the frame is in fact not the same in front?"

They replied with this

"Manufacturing tolerances can cause areas of the frame to be slightly different from side to side, which is considered normal. You can proceed with the build."

I guess I have to accept it lol. I still find it strange.

#16 ·
I had a few frame welds interfere with panel fitting, but nothing as off as your dealing with.
I would worry more about how the uneven frame may impact other aspects of your build, and future body fitting. Perhaps take several measurements and compare them side to side, to see just how much it varies.

#17 ·
It’s not unusual to have to trim the aluminum panels to fit the frame.
however I would do a bunch of measuring to determine what exactly is different on the frame from side to side.
Make sure this difference won’t affect body mounting later on.

#18 ·
Provided the 4" tubes and x-members are square, I suspect you don't have anything to worry about. I'd measure those, and worry a lot less about the 3/4" framing. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the upper 3/4" cross member that the radiator mounts to is NOT square; it is almost always skewed both top to bottom and side to side. Also, when it comes time to fitting the body, you're almost certain to find that one or both of the front outriggers need to be "massaged" into place, sometimes by as much as an inch.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.