Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a new Aluminum Engine Cover I have been working on. The one pictured is fitted to an LS376/525hp. By the end of the day, I hope to have some mounts also made to fit LS1. The engine cover mounts to the studs that hold the fuel rail to the intake manifold. Comes with a beautiful natural brushed aluminum finish. I've created this engine cover in an attempt to be more than price-competitive with other options out there.....and there seems to be few options out there for custom LS engine covers that you can find for under $350-400. I would suppose that there may be a possibility of this also fitting Camaros or Corvettes with some minor mods? If you've got a C5 or C6 'Vette still intact that you could test fit this on, and see if maybe it would fit with some minor changes to the alternator area (not sure it will clear the hood either?) I may be able to work out a discount for your time spent test fitting for me. Of course the GTM logo would be replaced with something different for other applications. I also need to check into fitment for the SL-C?

One thing I'm not sure of is differences in the fuel rail mount spacing. I know the LS3 and LS1 mount spacing is different, but not sure if the LS3 mount spacing is the same as LS7? At any rate, I know I will have mounts available for LS3 and LS1, so if LS7 is different, one way or another I will have to figure out what those dimensions are.

Anyway, I'm pricing this cover with the mounts and stainless screws at $179 plus shipping. You can email me thru my website if you're interested in purchasing. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,319 Posts
No offense as I understand it is a much less expensive alternative, but compared to your carbon fiber covers, these look pretty basic. If it were for my GTM I would go ahead and spend the $$ on your other cover. I like it MUCH better. Just my opinion of course. Do you still offer the carbon fiber covers?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Racer 28!

Crash,

Yes I do still offer the gel-coat and CF "Mike DeGuire" engine covers.....so these are not a replacement for those covers.......just another option for those who may like this better or not want to spend 2.5x more on the CF one. This new one also does not extend rearwards nearly as far as the CF one, so it offers some extra clearance for things like cold-air-intakes.

And as I said above, I'm hoping that this will not be a "GTM-only" item. Old street-rods with LS engine-swaps, SL-C's (if it will fit), GT-40's (if it will fit). That's the other advantage I have with these. Swap logos....cut it back a bit to fit your alternator in a different application.....delete the oil-fill hole for LS7.......all of that stuff I can do in minutes and cut a custom cover just for your particular needs. I do not have the ability to do ANY of those things with the CF or gel-coat cover.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shane,

This is a nice looking and unique piece. I like it!

BTW: I have an LS7 in my car and can measure the mounting points for you. Let me know how you would like me to measure it.
Hey, thanks for the offer! I think I have this covered......Fran from RCR gave me a call last night, and it sounds like he's got every LS engine ever produced there, so I'm shipping him an engine cover and he's going to see if the LS3 bolt pattern is the same for the LS7. If it's not, and Fran doesn't have time to measure it, I may take you up on it.

Basically, I just used a big framing square and laid it right on the centerline of the oil-fill neck on one leg of the square and ran the other leg of the square above/parallel to the intake studs.....and measured back from the oil-fill opening to the center of each stud on both sides of the intake. Then used the framing square and another straight edge placed directly above the studs and measured between to get the spacing of how far apart the studs are from the centerline of the engine. And then measured height from the face of the studs up to the highest point on the intake/fuel rail.

Based on my measurements, I'd say GM is still using non-metric measurement for everything, as all of my measurements seemed to be dead-on a nice, even fractional measurement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.