Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Dynacorn '67 Fastback. I picked it up last week at a local freight terminal. I've been looking for a '67 fastback for a couple of years now, and they were either way to expensive or a total basket case. With the Dynacorn, I can build it the way I want to, and won't have a bunch of scrap to get rid of.
It will have a Street or Track coil over suspension, 3 link rear with a Watts link and a 9" rear. Power will be a Dart 363, and a TKO600 trans.
The body is not bad at all, Dynacorn now has a spot welder, so there are very few plug welds. The door gaps look good ,except at the top near the door handle, but it's a problem with the doors, and can be fixed.
Almost all the parts are now being produced, I may have to scour the JY to find a couple of under dash braces, but so far, that's all I've found to be lacking.
It's probably going to remain on the trailer until I get a rotisserie.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,143 Posts
John this is going to be fun. I hope you make this your build thread so we can follow along.

·
Cobra Builder
1,718 Posts
I envy you....

Please keep use informed!

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,879 Posts
That's pretty cool!

How do you title the car… does it come with an MSO/ CO that you take to the DMV and license it as a '67 Ford Mustang?

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty cool!

How do you title the car… does it come with an MSO/ CO that you take to the DMV and license it as a '67 Ford Mustang?
It comes with a CO, Louisiana is pretty easy, they just want to know where the parts came from and if the state taxes were paid. They will then charge me tax on the stuff I didn't pay tax on. Plates are about $6.00 a year. It also needs a safety inspection and a State Police inspection, I think they are just looking for stolen parts. There is no smog check in my area, so none of the heartburn that California put me through with the FFR. I'm not sure if it will be titled as a Mustang, or it could be a Dynacorn. It's anybody's guess.

It's going to be a restomod with a few trick changes. I never have liked the Elenore style, To me they look like someone threw a JC Whitney catalog at it and all the wings, scoops and lights stuck. Don't much care for Shelbys either.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little progress. Finally got the body shell off the trailer and onto the rotisserie. I had to cut the transport frame up into three different sections to get it out from underneath the body. I'm going to turn the center section of the transport frame into a body cart. It already has the legs, all I need to do is bolt some casters to it. I have already drilled the shock towers for the Arning drop, and I'm going to reinforce the shock towers with some steel plate, plus re-weld some of the seams. My ideas so far, Frenched tail lights, and a side fill fuel filler. Also looking at an R model front valance And depending on the wheels I get, possibly some flared fenders. Here's some photos.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,143 Posts
If you are doing coil-overs in the front look into significantly reinforcing the shock tower area. It was only built to take shock absorber loads and isn't strong enough to take the spring loads too. This is going to be really fun to watch.

·
18,090 Posts
Really nice John!!!

I'll be watching this one for sure... I had heard some bad things about some of the early Dynacorn complete shells. It's good to know that they've increased the quality!

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'67 Dynacorn project

I'm moving my build thread to this forum instead of the OT forum.

Engine ordered yesterday from fordstrokers.com It's a Dart 363 with TrickFlow 205 cc heads. Woody says it will take him about 5 months to complete it. Woody also recommended a Pro Systems 750 carb, and a Victor Jr intake. That sort of surprised me, I told him what the engine was going into and expected him to recommend the Edel RPM Air gap intake. I used a Victor jr on my Cobra, but it only weighed about 2100lbs, the '67 will probably weigh about 1000 lbs more.

As for parts, so far I've received the Unisteer rack & pinion, Ididit steering column, Hydroboost unit, clutch & pressure plate and the Strange Eng. 9" center section with 3.70 gears and a Eaton truetrac diff. Plus a bunch of small stuff I got from e bay. Yesterday I started modifying the chassis to fit the 3d link bracket. Hopefully the rest of the suspension will be here soon.

The T56 Magnum and all the parts that go with has been shipped, and it should be ready to pick up next Monday at the freight terminal.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a thread on Vintage mustang forum

1967 Dynacorn Fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums

a guy building a '67 fastback with dynacorn parts for his customer. and walks through the good and bad of the process.
I've seen that. He got an earlier body, the ones they sell now don't have the crooked brackets or the welded on rear valance, and the door gaps look much better. Dynacorn is now assembling them in California.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like an awesome project, how about some pictures.
I started this build log in OT, and decided to bring it over here. There are a couple of photos in the original thread.

·
18,090 Posts
I started this build log in OT, and decided to bring it over here. There are a couple of photos in the original thread.
John, I'm a moderator in both groups, would you like me to move the other thread here and try to merge them?

Might want to put a link to that thread here for reference..

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John, I'm a moderator in both groups, would you like me to move the other thread here and try to merge them?

Might want to put a link to that thread here for reference..
Thanks, please move the other thread to this forum

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little progress today, got the floor brace rough cut to make room for the Magnum, I may weld in some 1/8" plate to regain some of the stiffness.

Fitting the 3d link bracket and the cage for the watts link.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts