Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS THERE ANYTHING TO DO OTHER THAN REPLACE?
THOUGHT I WAS DONE WITH DASH FINALLY AND THEN DISCOVERED THE INDICATOR NEEDLE ON THE OIL TEMP GAUGE FELL OFF

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Jeez, what a P.O.S. I hope that doesn't happen to mine.

I'd call Autometer, and DEMAND a replacement unit.

·
Junior Charter Member
252 Posts
You'll need to replace it. Autometer is very good about replacing defective gauges. Unfortunately I've had to do this many times with Autometer.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Not to Hijack the thread and this is long, so please forgive me while I rant.......
By any chance were these gauges made in "China" or "Korea" or even "Mexico"? Man! what has this world become, that cheap labor is the goal and no quality control's exist?
My Late Cousin worked for Kenny Weld (of Weld Wheel's Corporation) In Kansas City,MO. before they sold out to Cragar (1983-1984) (that's why you see "Superlites" and "Drag star's" with the Cragar moniker on them these days) Anyway's,
back to my arguement- Cragar sent the company packin' to Good ole Mexico, where cheap labor reigns at the top of every corporation's "trim the fat" list.
My cousin also told me to stay away from the Companies (Weld-Cragar's "Star Wire" wire wheel rims, because the spokes were so loose, the rim's had enough run out to shake the fillings out of your head!
I hope someone at 'Autometer" is watching these posts and is "lighting a fire" under some s.o.b's sorry A$$ to get with the program, they used to be top shelf, guess I need to look into another source......that is a real shame though, many of you have sunken enough money into a full set of gauges, that you could have taken a nice trip somewhere and had alot less grief than what your experiencing now. I'll get off my soap Box now. Hope you guys get this resolved soon, Just one more note, 15 years ago, I bought a full set of Autometer gauges, they were everything one could ask for, guess they would make a nice conversation piece.......
Have a good one!
Ben

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
After reading the many threads about bummers similar to this with Autometer Gauges, I cancelled the vintage set that I had ordered with my kit. I went with Stewart Warner. I will let you all know how they are when I install them and put them to use.

Stuff made overseas has two sides. I have a couple of indespensable tools, 6 ton floor jack and engine hoist that were made in china. Insanely cheap and serviceable. Could not have afforded them otherwise. On the other hand, it makes you wonder if we make anything here anymore.....

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Is the problem mostly with the vintage gauge set, or with all of Autometers gauges? I have the ultra lite pro comps but I haven't installed them yet.

Dan

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I have used Autometer gauges for years (at least ten sets of a variety of different series) and NEVER had a problem. That said, I've never used the vintage series, but have read consistently and often on this forum posts about the vintage series needles falling off and guages sticking. If you got them from FFR, they will replace them quickly. I assume all other sources will be as responsive. Good luck!

BTW, the Ultra-lite Pro comps worked flawlessly for years in my 1941 Willys.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Thanks Mark for the info.

Dan

·
Charter Member
170 Posts
I'm just waiting for my needles to fall off, I have to tap the guages each time I start up the car. If they do fall off, the only thing I have going for me is that I wired the dash so it unplugs for easy removal.

·
2,203 Posts
Ben,

The vintage guages are made right here in the USA.

·
2,847 Posts
well,
I am all for being "American Made" guess we need to enforce the "quality control" measures on the factory and let our voices be heard! They need to address this now! I really like the looks and functionality of the autometer gauges,and really want to use them again, but when you tie up enough money in a "PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE" project and have your wife ribbing you for all the money you have spent on it, only to have the damn needles fall off the gauges is sickening( I'm sure no one wants to hear their better half bitching about how your $500.00 set of gauges is nothing more than a Piece'O crap) I, like everyone else feels the same way I am sure, granted I am way's off from buying my kit,hopefully next fall and hopefully when that time comes, Autometer will have their "Ducks in a row" with the needles falling off. Hope everyone gets this resolved with as few head aches as possible.
Have a good one!
Ben

·
Junior Charter Member
252 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Feldhege:
Is the problem mostly with the vintage gauge set, or with all of Autometers gauges? I have the ultra lite pro comps but I haven't installed them yet.
Dan
I have no experience with the vintage gauges. I have 4 sport comp guages and have had 3 failures so far. The fuel pressure isolator has also failed once.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
I think most of the autometer gauges are made here in Utah. A former neighbor of mine is the comptroller there. Maybe I should call him and see what the scoop is.

From what I have heard, they are VERY good at responding to problems. (They shouldn't have the problems in the first place.)

The local phone book lists the number as 801-785-0051

[ April 19, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: SloW8 ]

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
If anyone is having problems with their Autometer gauges I would recomend calling the # above given by Joe. I would be willing to bet they would replace anything defective. I also am pretty sure that these are made in the local Utah facility.
Todd

·
6,305 Posts
Has anybody tried Stewart Warner gauges lately? They used to be THE gauge to have way back when. Then I don't know what happened and nobody had anything good to say about them. How about now?
Frank

·
2,847 Posts
Frank, Remember when the "Sun" tachometer's were the "Bomb" He He He....... :D :D :D :D Those were the days......
Ben

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
I used to have a full set of S-W's on my 65 Mustang using the 66' bezel. They were the gauges of choice in the late 60's early 70's. All I know is somoeone got a nice set of gauges plus a tach.

I've had my Ultralites for over a year sitting on a shelf. Sure hope they'll keep their needles on.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I try to read, or at least glance at, every thread that has to do with hardware. My recollection is that the only gauges with "fly-off" needles are the Autometer Vintage series.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
For paying 450.00 for the gauges i expected something a little nicer. When unwraped they just came across as something i could have picked up at Autozone or at least comparable quality. For 450.00 i at least want some glass lenses instead of plastic-come on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts