Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock posi is worn out and i want to replace it. i bought a mini spool but it didnt fit in my stock carrier..i dont want a locker because they make too much noise locking and unlocking and dont want to spend alot on an eaton posi if my drag radials are going to destroy it like the stock one..
please help any sugestions would be great!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've seen rebuilt standard Auburns take a ton of abuse, I've also seen Auburn pro's wear their owners out with the noise. With the weight of these cars, I'd just put back in a stocker and have-at-it, replace when needed.
I had a Detroit Locker in my last car, it was scary coming out of the corners as the boost hits.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
another vote for rebuilding the stock unit. Its pretty easy. A rebuild kit costs $50 and you don't have to reset the gears. If you want it to be more positive go to the alternating disc method and shim it up good. Mine is currently too tight, I hope it will loosen a little. I put a torque wrench on it and maxed it out at 135 ft/lbs, I could not get it to differentiate. for comparison my 99 explorer axle dialed in at 70 ftlbs

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
How do you know if your posi is history? Also, where could we find info and instructions for rebuilding the stock unit.

When I exit a corner fast while autocrossing, my inside tire spins, but the rear end won't kick out as much I like. Could that be a weak posi?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
You can locate Randy's Ring and Pinion, he'll sell the 8 disc clutch sets! I built mine with 8 friction discs and it works like a champ. (I wouldn't advise using the truck spring!)

Mike
FFR 2335

1 - 6 of 6 Posts