Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 302/345hp crate engine. Now I know I need to change out the water pump for reverse rotation, but can this be done without changing the timing cover also?

Dennis

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I did not have to change my timing cover. I think you only have to change the timing cover for a mech fuel pump install

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Here's a standard rotation water pump on the stock timing cover. the water pump is from a crown vic. It has a plate that seals off the pump...then you mount the whole thing to your timing cover. I don't have pictures of the back, but it works.

I got the whole setup, including the alt mounting brackets and water pump pulley from Mike Everson at www.replicaparts.com

·
Charter Member
1,103 Posts
No need to change the timing cover. Just make sure you get the correct water pump so that the water passages line up correctly.
As trevor already indicated, if you are changing to a mechanical fuel pump then you will probably need to change the timing cover.
Robert

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Dennis,

I ordered my correct rotation water pump from Mike Forte. It works as expected. I had to change the hole pattern on the pulley. It runs cool even on the road course.

Roger

·
7,906 Posts
Guys He bought a new Crate motor. It has always been my understanding that you need to remove all the Explorer parts and replace them with the Mustang parts. Am I right? I just did this on a FMS crate motor. the timing cover , pump and Harmonic balancer were all different.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I thought you could buy the crate motor with FOX mustang stuff??

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I bought the FMS 345hp crate motor and installed the fox kit (G50 I believe) with std rotation pump, damper and cover - didn't use the oil pan. Probably didn't need to replace the cover either since the pump is electric. It looks identical to the picture above.

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad I asked the question,
Looks like I'm not the only one confused..
This is a new FMS crate engine, set of for explorer,and has a standard rotation water pump.
I'm going electric on the fuel pump.

Thanks everypne

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
Dennis,

I have the reverse rotation pump on my 351 and looking for a standard rotation to use the saem set-up as Dan Babb (pictured above). Interested in a trade? I believe the water pumps are identical in fit.

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ben,
Now that I've seen that set up, I want it too

Thanks Anyway!

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Just one more quick comment - the std FMS 345 hp crate motor comes with a reverse rotation water pump. It has to be changed if you use Mike Everson's psss side drive assy kit. Compare the two photos above and you will see the difference in the drive setup and required pulleys. Now my question. The mechanical fuel pump timing cover has a hole for a dipstick. The FMS chrome dipstick is not calibrated correctly for the stock crate oil pan when inserted into this hole. Is there a quick fix for this?

·
Registered
467 Posts
it looks like the gt40 explorer motor's water pump has 1 extra bolt as compared to the water pump that mike everson supplies.

Nope.. its definately different.

[ August 14, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: nwellsv ]

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Here's a picture of a standard timing chain cover and there is a distinct 3rd bolt hole around the inlets:

Looking at MrGoodwrench's crate Explorer motor, I don't see the extra bolt on the driver side but appears to be one on the passenger side. It's rather confusing as Ford must have at least a dozen diff. covers over the years; covers with fuel pump boss/oil dipstick, cover w/o fuel pump boss /no oil dipstick, then there's mine with fuel pump boss but no dipstick, and I'm sure different bolt patterns for diff. year blocks.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
My 1997 Explorer engine had the same timing cover as Goodwrenche's. I changed the timing cover to make it work for me. The water pump I used is out of the FMS catalog. I did not get the conversion kit. I needed an older timing case as seen in 289FIA_Cobra's then the water pump from FMS, then I made my own brackets for the alternator.

I got the timing case for $35.00 including shipping on e-bay. I belive the water pump was $55.00.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts