Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install turbos and I need way mo gas. I am trying to figure out the best way to get more fuel from the tank to the fuel rails. I want to go AN #8 for feed and AN #6 for return.

What are you big HP guys using?

I was looking at getting a walbro 255 lph in tank pump and was wondering how to adapt from the 5/16 line coming out of the tank to AN #8.

How well does the big pickup (no in-tank pump) with a big in-line pump work? Seems like it would be easier to connect.

Is it a good idea to run braided hose all the way or should I run hard lines under the frame? I am worried about road damage. Is anyone cutting a hole in the cross tubes to run fuel lines?

Looking for ideas!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Daytona,

I've got a pair of T4's on my FFR and have managed so far with the stock rails and lines. Upgraded to a 255 lph pump, 42 lb injectors and adjustable FP regulator.

Of course I haven't turned the boost up past 10 lbs yet either. Managed to run 131 mph on a greasy 1/4 mile track with a 2.0 second 60' time. That is fast enough for me....right now anyway.

Later.

Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Big Mike,

What size lines did you run? Are you running an in-tank pump or an in-line pump?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
547 Posts
I am running all -8 size fuel line with a holley blue pump.

Works great!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
-8 to -6 return is fine.

Use a GSS340 Walbro intank only..the standard in-tank 255 doesnt support boosted applications well. The stock rails and the gss340 will support 500 rwhp. I usually use the mallory AN fuel tank pickup for the stangs and adtapt to use the walboro intank pump. Its the best of both worlds.

Phil

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil, that is a killer idea! How do you adapt the outlet of the Walbro pump to the larger Mallory pickup? Also, how do you run the electrical to the pump? Do you just take the mustang electrical and adapt it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Aeromotive pumps will put out the fuel, but they are humungus! Where would you put one of these monsters on a little Cobra?

[ November 02, 2002, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Daytona ]

·
6,546 Posts
My Aeromotive setup in progress:

The whole fuel tank install will be on my website by Sunday evening.

B

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Ozona,

If your planning to use that for for the street, you better get the $190 fuel pump controller. That a-1000 pump wont last long on the street. Have been thru 2 of them. Have a spare here if ya need it.

Daytona,
I used a 5/8" compression fitting after cutting the mallory tube shorter, and converted to barbed the same size as the GSS340 outlet. Thats it..If your good, you will cut the tube near the top then convert to barbed and use the supplied "S" shaped hose.

I also used a threaded comression fitting and a bit of silicone to run the wires through the top to the pump.

Phil

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ozona, Never would have thought of putting it there! Great idea!

Phil, I am going with your setup, thank you for the idea! You should market those!

·
6,546 Posts
I have the pump controller, it'll go in the trunk once I get that far. I do appreciate the reminder/recommendation though.

I can't take credit for the placement of the Aeromotive pump, it's in the directions that came with it. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
279 Posts
I'm building my car to roadrace, and was concerned about running the pump dry in the corners. I have a Triangle Engineering alum cell (the other Craig M... you'll love the quality of these :D ), a low pressure Carter pump feeds fuel into a 2 quart swirl pot, 2x #10 lines into 2x Bosch Motorsport "044" pumps with one-way check valves, into a Y-block, through a Bosch filter, into a 5/8" stainless hard line to the front of the car, into a Y-block, 2x #6 lines into CHP 1/2" rails, into dual inlet Bosch Motorsport rising rate regulator, 3/8" return back into the swirl pot, overflow from swirl pot back to fuel cell.

When I dynoed my motor on an engine dyno, we used EVERY line and fitting out of the car. This was the only way that we could know with any certainty as to whether the fuel system was adequate. The fuel pressure didn't fade or pulse at all, regardless of boost or rpm. At least the fuel system is one less thing I have to worry about...

[ November 03, 2002, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: 750hp ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts