Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have too much front brake sensitivity. I have stock Mustang brake setup and power brakes. I have gutted the distribution block but still have way to much front brake. I am thinking that maybe I can improve the situation by installing some much harder pads on front.

Any suggestions or comments, pad brand or model number??

Thanks,
Bill

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
How bout a proportioning valve?

Roscoe

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
What you really want to do is improve the rear brakes so you get a better balance. What do you have in the back.

If the front discs are grabbing, that's a differant issue. Resurface the discs and pads with a 220 grit sanding disc in a drill motor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
boB is right, you can never have too much front brake, just too little rear brake. I just put a set of Porterfeild R4S shoes and a prop valve on a MKI and it fixed the same problem you have now. bought them from Speed Toys. you won't beleive the differance.

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
Bill,
Do you have a booster? If yes, I would start by removing it. Change the bore size of the master cylinder; up for a firmer pedal and down for a softer one.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bill think prop. valve is the best option here.
Changing out pads and or shoes is almost hit or miss with power brakes. Useing a proportional valve lets you dail in exsactly the right amount of front to rear braking.

·
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely gutted the the proportioning valve, so it does nothing, but that has done noghting to improve problem. Yes I have the Mustang power brake setup. Rear shoes are stock. Every thing was new when I built the car, rotors, drums, calipers and rear brake cylinders. The rear brakes just don't seem to do much of anything.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
A second vote for Porterfield shoes for the back. I have them on my stock manual setup and they made a difference over stock shoes. I agree with what's been said here - you need to increase your rear grip instead of lowering the front.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
im pretty sure all brake pads are the same hardness. what differs is the coefficient of friction at different temperatures.

before i changed to a dual master cylinder, i put mu .42 pads on the front and mu .52 pads on the rear. that helped a little. i cant remember the exact models- the front was likely porterfield r4s. ive had a number of different brake systems on the car.

james

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Couple things you can check. Be sure the rear shoes are adjusted all the way up. Adjust them so when turning the wheel slight drag can be felt but not tight enough that brakes will over heat. For some reason,probally how we always back into a garage the same way the self adjusters don'y always keep the rear shoes tight and need ocassional manual adjusting. Another possible cause could be a little air left in the lines. Air can be tough to feel in power brakes set up and need to look at the fluid as it comes out of the bleeder to be sure it's clear ,not milky or cloudy. These may or may not be the cause but worth checkng.

·
Junior Charter Member
144 Posts
you will have to put the proportioning valve on the front brake circuit ,,to limit pressure to the front adding bias to the rear,,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts