Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recomendation on an ignition system for a 302 crate motor with roller cam? Need Steel gear?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
YES, Steel gear!

If you go carb, use either one from a 85 GT (Mike Forte should be able to get you one that has the steel gear for sure) or MSD-8598, also steel.

Not sure for the EFI numbers but you can find them in the SUmmit catalog.

Lukas

·
7,676 Posts
Try one of these: Performance Distributors It has worked great in my 302. When you order one, you fill out a fairly extensive order form. Max RPM's, weight (car not driver!), etc. It was less expensive than the complete dist., wires, coil, looms etc. from JEGS or Summit.

Ray

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Crane has some very nice ignition equipment out. I have their new street/race distributor. I've seen nothing like it. It's awesome. It won a SEMA award about a year ago. Total and vacuum advance settings can be set with the turn of a dial. You must use a box with a magnetic trigger singal. The cost is less than the Performance Distributor which I was considering. Make sure you check them out.--Dan

·
Registered
51 Posts
dennis, i had no idea you could get these from
autozone!
are you positive this has a steel gear?
steel- has a machined look to all of it.
iron- just the gear part is machined..
if so, great starting point!

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Dennis, I went MSD, but let a Machinist talk me into a bronze gear. BAD MISTAKE. I caught it at 6000 miles just before EXPENSIVE things were going to happen.

By all means get the Steel, but don't rely on Autozone. A search perhaps all the way back to 2002 you will find a Cobra Earl posting on how to check to make sure your gear is Steel. DON'T GUESS. Check it.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Owenmustang,

You can indeed get them from Autozone. Unfortunately, for some reason not all of them have a steel gear although they are supposed to. So make sure you check REAL carefull what they give you!

Lukas

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, I took a picture of it but can't load it onto the site. Dark gray has a little machined ridge around the bottom. I can send a pic to someone if they think they can tell which it is. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts