Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm installing the Finishline center post mirror rod. Actually it's installed. The problem is the mirror attaching bracket hits the windshield when I slide the mirror up the rod towards the top of the windahield. Before I go and just hacksaw the nice piece of chrome to make it fit and function I was wondering if others have had the same issue and what you did to correct it.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Charter Member
483 Posts
I have a setup from a MGB. I bent up a custom top bracket from Alum. angle to fit my windshield channel and the Rick Young soft top. When I was done the back of the adjustable mirror mount did hit the glass. I put a small layer of protective film on the mount where it hit the glass to stop any contact that could hurt the glass. I used this to my advantage as it keeps the mount square with the glass. This allows me to use the ball & socket to aim the mirror while the mount is at 90 degrees to the glass.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my solution was to bend the top of the rod, about 1" from the slightly angling it away from the windshield. That now allows my mirror to slide up to the point of the bend. A previous post suggested that the barrel nut provided with the rod kit be cut in half. Lesson learned here is to leave the barrel nut off altogether. I made the mistake or installing the half nut and installed the windshild. The result was the nut dug into my paint! OUCH!! Had to pull the windshield back off the car to get to the nut to remove it. I guess that's why the painter gave me touch up paint......???
All is well
Happy Holidays to all.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

1 - 3 of 3 Posts