Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where these can be purchased and what size they are? (they're titanium)

or maybe these in stainless..

·
Charter Member
255 Posts
Hmmm, those aren't aircraft bolts are they? Cause if they are, then I could hook you up.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Try calling albeco (sp?) fasteners in west Newton Ma... Place is amazing, even if they dont have them, you should know about the place. I go there and buy all my grade 8 fasteners for dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on using some type of structural yet decorative fastener for the 8 body side mounting bolts and the 4 front bolts. I figure as long as they're going to be visible they should be nice to look at. The Yamaha disk bolt looks good, but I have no idea what size it is. If it's a little bigger in diameter than the 5/16 button heads supplied with the kit I can drill out the holes. If it's too long, I can cut it. Maybe somebody with a Yamaha in the garage can take a quick look and see if we're in the ballpark.

Happy motoring

[ October 20, 2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: oldguy668 ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,312 Posts
Stang8s Where in west Newton is this place albeco? sounds good!

·
Charter Member
98 Posts
Oldguy668:
Try McMaster-Carr. I believe they are just mcmaster-carr.com. They have a very large assorment of hardware including stainless fastners and they will sell partial box quantities although they charge a slight premium
for this.
pghcobra

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
The Yamaha bolt is probably 8mm - about 5/16". This site has titanium fasteners in the tapered socket-head style (your second pic) - I hope those prices aren't "each"!

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bwana50:
That's the place, dude! The have exactly what I'm looking for. They also carry the motorcycle rotor bolts in the top picture of my post.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oldguy, have you considered ARP 12pt bolts in stainless? Look nice and can be had with large radius flanges...

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keith:
Those were the first items I looked at. I wanted a head flange large enough to eliminate washers and not worry about pulling through the fiberglass. I think these motorcycle rotor bolts will do the trick. My second choice is these: http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/panel.htm

What's your opinion?

·
6,546 Posts
Oldguy:

SRP has a method to where he glasses the holes shut on the body and uses studs mounted to a plate to mount the body....I believe.

Might check with him..I know you're going for that "super clean" look.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Call me a hacker but all allen head bolts scare the hell out of me...

·
Junior Charter Member
21 Posts
Oldguy,

Those top ones look like the rotor bolts on my Yamaha Road Star. If so, they are m8 x 1.25 x 25mm. Prior to 2001, I'm pretty sure, they did not come in stainless so make sure that you get ones from a later model bike.

A great place for fasteners, chrome and otherwise, is Gardner-Westcott. Their address is www.gardner-westcott.com and they have their catalogs on the web.

[ October 20, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: KWB3 ]

·
Registered
18 Posts
They do come in stainless. They've been around in stainless for quite a while, it just depends on the make/model of bike. I personaly would stay away from the Ti bolts and stick with the stainless version. But that's just me. You could call around to your local motorcycle dealers to see if they have any in stock. Another opion would be to call your local motorcycle salvage yard. They'll have pleny of late model sport bikes previously crashed by squids. These bikes usually have the high end parts on them. (Read stainless) But remember pretty much every MC disk brake bolt will be metric. McMaster carr is also a good source. Page 2900-2901, catalog #108 lists Button Head Socket Head Cap Screws in various sizes from 18-8 thru 3/8-24 stainless. It also lists thread length, head height, head diameter, and key size. No, I don't work for them, but when I need something special, I can usually get it there. My 2 pennies....

·
Registered
18 Posts
One other thing, the disk bolts on my bike are shoulder bolts....something else to think about.

·
Senior Charter Member
515 Posts
The top one you can get from Lowes Hardware, in stainless.
Buzz

·
Senior Charter Member
768 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
oldguy,

I work at a fastener house in Franklin, MA. If you know the size, I can probably get them for you as samples.--maybe not titanium though.

pjul

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Oldguy joe.. Slow down your catching up with my build! ;)

After looking at the frankenstine bolts on the sides I decided to rid them on my build. Like mentioned above our good friend SRP does this. Real easy..

parts needed..

4 pieces of 1.5: x1/8 flat stock

piece of threaded rod I think it is 5/16 size but just match FFR bolt

3-m high strength repair stuff..

cut plates to size and place on cars interior side up against the frame mounting points. Mark and then drill and tap the holes and then install the threaded rod hit with a tack weld or maybe epoxy if no welder. Put back on car to fit test. drill a few 1/2 holes in the flat stock. Once you have all the sizes right butter up the plate with 3-m and put her in place. Works great and took about 2 hours due to many trial and fits of first bolt length then it went quick..

Only altering I will do is open up the holes on the frame by one size.

P.S. the studs will be higher than the original bolt holes to align properly...

have the body man finish off the holes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.