Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to get my tunnel cover ready to upholster in vinyl, and I've run into a snag, not with the covering, but fitting the cover itself. I have a T5 with an S10 mod, so the shifter is forward. The tunnel cover that came with the kit was cut for the standard shifter location, so I put one of the hole plugs provided, and riveted it in place. I wanted the aluminum cover to act as a fire stop since I planned on using a piece of plywood as a cover over it so there would be a smooth surface to place the vinyl on. During the initial fitting of the plywood cover I had the cable disconnected from the brake handle, a Lokar unit, so I could pull the handle all the way up. With the handle in this position I could slide the handle into the slot I had cut, and get it into position. Problem was, I couldn't figure how I was going to get the cable reconnected after mounting the cover. I don't believe there is enough space to reach up from underneath. With the handle connected to the cable, it can only be pulled up a couple of notches, and when I try to swing the tunnel cover on, it's not possible to get the handle in the slot to rotate into position.
My question is to those that have installed a tunnel mounted brake handle. How were you able to get the cover in place with the handle mounted, and the cable connected? I've spent way too many days trying to figure this out including fabricating a number of options that ultimately have failed, and I need this completed to be able the install the carpet on the sides of the tunnel, since I don't think I'm going to be able to overlap the carpet with the aluminum.
As a note, I've considered getting an FFMetals new uncut tunnel cover, and eliminate the plywood, but I don't think that will make it any easier to install. I'm also considering trimming the turn down on the original tunnel cover to a minimum to make it a bit less bulky, but again, I don't think this will help with the install.

All ideas will be entertained as I am at my wits end.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't have an answer about the ebrake, however I made a top peice that is removeable. If you're thinking of options, Find a buddy that has a metal shear and get some 1/4" aluminum. I threaded bolt holes through the original now skelotonized cover and into the 3/4 frame. this mod has already paid for itself as my shifter stop came loose and blocked a gear. That was a 5 minute fix.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
1,031 Posts
A picture would help a lot. Perhaps I'm not grasping the whole issue you are having. My tunnel cover mounts with only one fastener and is removeable. Perhaps this type of solution will help you as well. I have a metal slot in the front of the tunnel area on the frame. I have a mating bracket that slides under it fastened to my tunnel cover. So to install the cover I simply slide it forward into the slot. I have a single fastener at the rear of the cover that screws into a bracket on the frame at the rear of the tunnel.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
duncalope, nice solution to the tunnel cover. Robert, that sounds like a great way to secure the cover and easy to install and remove. I was actually able to finally get the cover installed. My issue was that it had to go on kind of sideways, and at an angle to get it over the brake lever with the brake cable attached. A couple of adjustments, to the height of the front of the handle, and some minor tweeks to the metal portion of the cover, and I had success. Now to get it covered with the vinyl, and figure out how the shifter and brake handle boots install. Another mystery!

·
Charter Member
1,031 Posts
I also added a little padding before mounting the vinyl / leather. I think it makes for a more comfortable armrest.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I don't have an answer about the ebrake, however I made a top peice that is removeable. If you're thinking of options, Find a buddy that has a metal shear and get some 1/4" aluminum. I threaded bolt holes through the original now skelotonized cover and into the 3/4 frame. this mod has already paid for itself as my shifter stop came loose and blocked a gear. That was a 5 minute fix.

View attachment 361263

View attachment 361261

View attachment 361262
Do you have a color code for the finish on the transmission cover? I think I'd like my side pipes in that color

1 - 6 of 6 Posts