Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Here at DOHC central, its 102 degrees on the thermo. by my tool box & 135 by the exhaust turbine in the roof of my garage. Gotta love TX!

I've made decent progress getting the DOHC in & it looks like I can use the stock motor mounts and stock front crossmember location as long as the permacool oil-filter relo adapter solves the oil filter-to-driver-side main frame tube interference (which I think it will).

On the rear crossmember, I've moved it back about 4-5 inches (after sawzalling through the MKII backbone bracing which wasn't supposed to be welded, but was) & I have everything lining up at this point.

I have 2 questions in need of some collective wisdom. First one has to do with the difference in height between the rear pumpkin (IRS) and the output shaft on the transmission. I've got about an inch of difference (the rear is lower than the tranny output shaft by a little less than an inch). Is this too much of a difference or within acceptable limits?

Second question. I have about 13.25 inches between the rearend flange where the drive shaft bolts to and the seal on the rear of the tranny (the output shaft extends beyond the seal by 3/4 of an inch or so). Is this enough space for the difference in height between the rear & the tranny? How much space is there in the stock setup (5.0 + T5)?

Thanks folks. I'll take some pictures once I've got it all sitting in the right places.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The current issue of Hemmings Rods and Performance magazine has an excellent article about driveshaft angles. I think it would be worthwhile for you to hunt one down, since you need to make sure you're not building a grenade.

Happy motoring

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The shaft will be fine with that angle and the length. When you go to the driveshaft shop give them the measurement from the face of the flange to the end of the trans output shaft. They should be able to take it from there.
Cheers Richard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.