Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
302 EFI, no emissions

Re surging idle: 7" vac at valve covers. On the premise that I have a leak between the lower intake and block), I have the upper intake, fuel rail, and dizzy out.
Observations: #1 fuel injector port in the lower intake is very clean, no coke buildup as in the other 7. Same with tip of #1 injector, and the #1 air channel to the head is much cleaner than the others (wipe test). #1 plug is all black, otherwise very clean, like new. #'s 2,3 & 4 are as they should be. #'s 5-8 show a bit rich.
Questions:
How can I test the #1 injector/injector circuit?

While its exposed, I would like to get rid of the hard pipe heater tubes (no heater). If I remove them, where do I put the ECT sensor and how do I plumb the two small nipples coming off the pass. side of the water pump?

Thanks, Dale

[ September 08, 2007, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Dale ]

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Dale;
A few days ago I posted a question regarding testing the injector circuit and the response was to get "noid" lights at a good auto supply house.
I have not yet done so,but I'll let you know what I find.

As for the ECT sensor I put mine in the thermostat hosing( tapped a hole there on top).

The water pump tubes can be removed and tapped for a plug or you can run a hose from one to the other and shunt it that way.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Paul, not sure if the ECT will like being in the water neck. Coolant doesn't really flow past that point until the thermostat opens. I would encourage you to put the ECT directly into the intake at the front of the engine BEHIND the thermostat...

HTH...
Mark

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Mark:
True, the ECT likes being in the manifold ,but I had no practical choice so I put it on the T-stat housing.
It works well there,obviously not as well as being behing the t-stat but well enough.
Paul

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I took out the heater hose and put an adapter in that hole...I think it's a 5/8th to 3/8th pipe fitting. I put the ECT sensor in there.

I never had any cooling problems by doing it that way.

Then I tapped the thermostat housing and put my fan switch in there.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
For ours we installed the ECT on the driver's side of the intake (direct threaded fit) and then I used a standard heater hose elbow for a small-block Ford application on the passenger side and drilled and tapped the top of the fitting for the Auto Meter gauge sender for the water temp. All's good...

The fan switch is in the bottom of our Forte degas tank...

HTH...
Mark

·
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered the fitting from Breeze, Thanks. I assume it will work with reverse rotation pump? Breeze references CW rotation. Which of the two WP take-offs does it attach to? What do I do with the other one?

FMS 70mm MAF.

Anyone used the "noid" lights? How do they work?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Dale, the fitting shown above is for the intake (RF behind thermostat area)...

It will not work, nor should be used in the water pump...

On the pump, the upper fitting goes to the bypass tube on the thermostat housing and should be retained on street driven cars. The lower tube is the heater port and is what is normally capped or blocked off for cars that don't use a heater.

The Breeze part above is intended to allow you to run a hose from water pump to intake instead of capping the pump fitting (the rubber caps are weak and fail at a high rate).

The note on CW water pumps is due to the hose fitting size. The CW and CCW pumps have different heater hose fitting sizes...

HTH...
Mark

·
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info. Thanks, Mark. If I can get the correct fitting, then I leave the top hose to the t'stat housing and put fitting in the intake where the hard heater pipe was and hose it to the lower WP fitting?

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
Sounds like #1 is leaking air at the head. Port is clean due to low vacuum and it doesn't suck the PCV crap down the port. Black plug - sounds like that injector is working.

I am a little baffled why the opposite bank looks rich. Double check that you have not swapped the O2 connections bank to bank.

·
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Narve, good news and bad, I guess. Injector working is good. From what you say about the clean port makes sense. Will pay xtra close attention to intake gaskets going back on. Thanks as always. Will check O2 connections (wire colors) for correct sides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts