Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have a pic of how cable ties are supposed to keep the gold threaded spring retainer from moving? I don't see a way to get a cable tie in there. Maybe I just need smaller cable ties.

I also have some stainless steel cable ties. Should I use them to keep the hat attached to the spring, or just use nylon ones?

Also how tight do you make those (how much do you compress the spring) as a starting point?

Thanks,

Steve Borne

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
You don't need anything to hold the gold rings in place; I asked the same question a while ago and apparently they just stay there. You use cable ties to hold the black spring seat to the spring (through the 2 holes in the sides), but otherwise I think you're all set. The stainless steel ties for that would be a good idea; my nylon ones broke off pretty easily while I was trying to tighten the retainer and twisting the spring, but I just put some new ones in and I figure they'll be fine since the spring doesn't really rotate unless you're screwing around with it. Rear springs should be compressed untill 3" of thread show underneath them. Fronts are probably about the same. Remember you want your ride hight to be around 4.5" (between the ground and the 4" tube frame), but that probably doesn't mean much at this point if you don't have all the weight in the car. Good luck!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
By the way, if you're doing the rear and you have your axle retaining straps in place, you'll find that it's actually a PITA to tighten the gold rings, and you'll see why they stay in place once you get your 3" of thread showing; thats why FFR gives you that little "pro shock adjusting tool." It's used to turn the gold rings once the spring has started to compress, but you might want to file down the bit of the tool that sticks into one of the four nooks in the ring, because they don't fit perfectly and it's really hard to tighten them when the thing keeps slipping out on you.

·
Junior Charter Member
177 Posts
I have heard of the gold ring moving. If you take the gold ring off the shock and look at the inner threaded area, you will see four small notches.I don't know if it is still in the manual but it used to say to leave two inches of thread showing as a starting point on the front shocks. Then line up the closest notch to the notch that runs the full length of the shock and run a small tie through the notches. If you don't understand this, e-mail me.
HAVE A NICE DAY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.