Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...I need a new part...

I have had a thermostat housing (like in the picture) on my 351 Winsdor for the last 8,000 miles without problems but today it started to leak...pretty bad actually.

I haven't taken it apart yet because I was letting things cool but I think I will replace the housing.

Does anyone know of a good alternative to fit my application?

Marc

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Cobra Earl sells a nice billitt piece!

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
A billit piece for $100. Or another Mr. Gasket piece for $24.

The questionis, where does it leak? A common spot is the threads of the bypass nipple. I coated mine with JB weld, and screwed it in as tight as I could get it with a pair of vice grips. Been leak free for about 20K miles or so.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Auto Zone or Advance Auto. Tell them you have a 87 Mustang 5.0 and it will run you about $12 but it wont be all pretty shiney but it will last several hundred thousand miles.

·
Tool Collector
6,606 Posts
Auto Zone or Advance Auto. Tell them you have a 87 Mustang 5.0 and it will run you about $12 but it wont be all pretty shiney but it will last several hundred thousand miles.
X2. Paint it if you want to pretty it up. Frank

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I hope to take mine apart this evening. I'll confirm that it is leaking from the gasket area first.

I would prefer something with the same configuration as the stock instead of going with a 2 piece like Roadster Earl's.

Whatever I use, I hope I don't have to go back to it again anytime soon. This was a real PITA when I first got the car running and I thought I had it solved. At this point, I don't care what it looks like.

Marc

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Can't you just replace the gasket?

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
If it's chromed, sand off the chrome on the mating surfaces or it will never stop leaking.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If it's chromed, sand off the chrome on the mating surfaces or it will never stop leaking.
X2. I have the same piece and did this sanding as well. I only have a few hours on the engine, but experience no leaks from that housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts