Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my Larin (Costco) floor jack as it just stopped working the other day. No leaks etc. just wont lift any weight.
Costco gave me my money back so I have been looking at Torin jacks also available from Costco for $99.
Does anyone have any experience with these or have other suggestions??

John

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
A lot of people use the jack from Harbor Freight. I think it runs about $130. I do like just about any Craftsman tool, though.

·
5,559 Posts
John, my Costco - Larin stopped working too! Did you need a receipt to get a refund? I've long since lost mine. I ended up buying a really nice one from HF (not the 1 ton model that most guys get on here). The one I bought is similar to the Larin with a 2 ton capacity, dual pistons for fast lifting, low saddle height, and a deep reach to make it easier to get under the frame. It was around $150-$180, so it was a bit more money than the Costco one - hopefully it will last longer!

Brian

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
Originally posted by M DOUGHERTY:
I use the aluminum jack from sears you wont go wrong with it
later
Mark D
I've got to second the motion. Good value for the money.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
I have the second one from Sears that BigRed listed. No problems in 4 years. If you ever need them, it's easier to get replacement parts from Sears, too.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
My Craftsman is great! also about 4 years old with about 1 year of commercial abuse. Nascar likes Brunnhoelzl , from the fatherland ! Avaialable under #'s BPQ050 and BPQ078(2 pump version) Really cuts into the beer fund I didn't have any for 6 months

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
If you run a sub 4" ride height, the harbor freight floor jack will get under the frame with out having to drive the tires up on something. My only complaint with the HF jack is that it has a narrow wheel (roller) base so it tends to twist if you are not careful. The rubber pad will slip off on the 4" tube if it gets oil on it. I usually put a rag on it if it does.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I have a big old heavy steel one from Sears I've had for years and recently got one of the little HF ones. The only think I don't like about the HF one is that you can't modulate very well how it releases. It wants to drop everything 'right now'. As all of you know, there are times you just want to squeak it down just a RCH and it's no good for that. I don't know if this is just my jack or is common to the HF jacks. Just something to consider.

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,395 Posts
The aluminum Sears one is great - especially since i have to drag it out of the cellar throw in the truck & go down to the garage where my car temp stored.

very roadable for racing.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Tim,
I don't have a problem slowly lowering my HF jack. I would return yours and get a replacement.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use a low profile quick lift style from Jegs, its alum and light wght. it works great on a light car, and the quick lift feature makes for less drama when there is only a little movement room for the arm.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was reading blogs on jacks including the HF and Sears. Most said they had very bad luck with the sears aluminum jacks as they developed leaks within 1 year.
Dan, I had a steel Sears jack that was excellent for 20+ years then started to loose its ability to stay up ( maybe should have tried the little blue pill). This one was made in Japan. I went to the sears repair center to see about repair parts but they were no longer available. It weighed a ton but was very smooth and just excellent.

Brian I did not have the receit , but they did give me my money back.

Skunkman, It never lost any oil in the 1 year that I had it. It just worked one minute then on the next lift, only the fast cylinder would work. It would not lift any weight at all. Thinking a stuck valve or a piece of factory installed crud got in a valve or something.

None of the Costcos have any Jacks in SD county, only the Costco online.
It's amazing the different experiences people have had with the jacks mentioned here with those on other forums.

Thanks for the info.

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,531 Posts
I went with an American Forge and Foundry model. I first bought the cheapie aluminum from PepBoys which I got less than a year out of. Then I figured the Sears model would be a suitable replacement but ended up returning that in less than a year because of a leaking piston. I saw the AFF 200T at a local tire shop and I had to have it, here is a picture of it. I searched online until I found it for less than $200. It weighs a ton but I am not carrying it around and I feel safer with something that wont tip easily. Just my 2 cents!

Mike

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
I have been using the HF one 40105-1VGA for about 4 years now. NO problems.
I also have the HF 91039-6VGA in a duffle bag that I carry with me in the trunk when I'm out traveling. It's much smaller and take more work on the shorter lever BUT it will fit under the frame if the tire were down.
I keep waiting for the HF one to fail but it just keeps working.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Northern Tool has several aluminum jacks. One has a min height of 3 1/4 inches and a height of 17 1/2. Only problem is it is $169. They have many other jacks also, some much cheaper. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pete, do they have a website?

John

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,395 Posts
Northern Tool + Equipment
www.NorthernTool.com

PS - I also still have my old twenty year old Blackhawk steel monster, still plugging away after all the years.

I'll see if the Sears ALuminum one last half as long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts