Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zipper-suited sun god and
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've got:

And I'm not using the stock switch. I have as two-pole flip switch I want to use for ignition on/off and a two-pole momentary for engine start. The start button I am ok with (it's just going to the solenoid anyways, which is a big relay) but the ignition I am a little stumped on.

Based on the picture above and my wiring diagrams, the lower gray/yellow and yellow wiring is hot at all times, not a problem. The white/pink is hot in start only, which is the wire the starter button is put in the middle of. The tricky part is, the top grey/yellow and blk/lt green are hot in run and the red/lt green and brown/pink are hot in run and start. How do I wire this up so that the hot in run only are turned off while the momentary is pushed?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Neither GY/Y wire is hot all the time. One goes to fuse #5 and #9. The other goes to the heated O2 sensors. On the donor both are hot only in run. Don't worry about the hot in run only things. It will still work fine if they are hot in start, too.
You can lose the BR/PK wire. In the donor it supplies power to the circuits in start and the R/LG supplies power to the same circuits in run. Since your R/LG is going to be hot in run and start, the BR/PK wire is not needed.

·
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one gy/y wire goes to fuse #5 & #9 or #5 & #8?

I ask because 5 & 8 are both 15a and 8 would be a hot always fuse - courtesy lamps, key warning buzzer, radio memory, etc whereas 9 is just the heater blower motor.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
It goes to #9. I check '87, '89, '92 and '93 diagrams. It's #9. Fuse #8 is powered from a fusible link on the starter relay.

·
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great, thanks! Looks like all I need to do is wire in a relay from the flip switch to power up all "hot in run/start" circuits and I can call it good!

·
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok PAB one more question for you. Do you see a problem wiring both gry/ylo and the blk/lt grn wires into one 40a relay coming off my ignition switch?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
It depends on how much stuff you are going to be using on the circuits those wires feed. The GY/Y wires won't be a problem. What's are you going to be powering from the BK/LG?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.