Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have a Mk III that I bought about 9 yrs ago and was proceeding nicely with the build ( about 75% completed), then life got in the way. So after about 5 years of no activity I back to getting it finished. Back then I installed a Signal Dynamics Self cancelling turn signal module. Upon completion I checked it out and everything worked as it should, even the 4 ways. A couple of notes on the install: I installed a double pole momentary switch to activate the left & right turn signals off the same switch. I also installed a signal pole momentary switch to work in conjunction with the turn signal switch to activate the 4 way flasher. I added a second green turn indicator dash light so left & right turn signals each has their own indicator light. Unrelated to the turn signals per se, but adds to problem symptoms, the blue high beam indicator light is functional. As I said when I originally wired it up all worked as it should have. The main wire harness is the Ron Francis one that came with the car. When I went to check out the circuit yesterday everything kind of a whet to hell. First, let me say that when I activate the right turn signal using the momentary switch all works fine as designed, When I activate the left turn signal from the switch both left & right, front & rear lights flash, along with all three dash indicator lights (2 green and the blue), and the instrument lights flash. I hate to start tearing wires out because everything worked before and no changes have been made electrically. I thought maybe it was a ground problem but checked those and they are OK (checked with ohm meter). I even tried running a separate ground, no change. I'm thinking maybe I'm getting a back feed but don't know where to start in looking for it.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get it resolved before I can move on. Getting closer to completion!

·
Official OLD GUY
3,880 Posts
Not really familiar with the "Signal Dynamics" module (I designed my own system /circuit) but I would start by disconnecting the single pole switch for the e-flashers. A lot of builders have issues when they add e-flashers as that function ties both sides of the car together, often causing cross-feed.

There is the possibility that the SD unit has gone bad due to an overload from the initial wiring connections - I'm reasonably sure the SD unit uses diodes to separate each side and they can "leak" (and eventually go bad) if overloaded.
I could be mistaken about the diodes, I've never seen the inside of a SD module . . . but I know what it takes to make it function as designed.

With everything flashing, I'd suspect a circuit that is grounding thru the other circuits

Your High Beam indicator shouldn't have anything to do with your TS and E-Flashers nor your instrument lights. You have a cross-connect somewhere in your lighting circuits.

Pull the bulbs for your Brake/Turn Signals and re-install them one-at-a-time, testing after each re-install. If your indicators still malfunction along with your instrument lights, start there looking for your bad or loose ground or a cross-connect.

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Attached is how I wired up my Signal Dynamics Penta Star XP module.

I would have thought it would be a ground too. Sorry can't help on that, but maybe you'll see something different in the wiring. I added Diodes all over the place, but am using ONE green lamp for both directions. I too am using a single switch with 2 momentary positions (ON) - OFF - (ON)

Also did the same thing with the hazard, but don't have that shown in the schematic. sorry.

HTH somehow.

(will copy and paste on other forum)

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
1,854 Posts
If the car has been sitting for awhile the first thing I'd do is take a close look at all the wiring behind the dash, and else where, to make sure you haven't had any little friends in there chewing on stuff. Had that problem with an old plow truck that sat idle most of the year. Then if you have done anything else to wiring on the car check, double check that. You never know when some minor goof will turn around and bite you.
Doc makes a good point about checking bulbs, the supplied turn/stop light sockets are notorious for being loose and having bulbs in 180* out or worse. (Had two that way on mine right out of the box) Sure sounds like something on the left side wiring or light assemblies is amiss.
The high beam indicator has me stumped that makes no sense unless the a fore mentioned chewing or the like has occurred. Could be something as simple/stupid as wires pinched between something. I always look for the simple stuff first as in something my simple brain has overlooked to begin with.:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts