Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 1 week from being able to drive the car so I went down to tittle my car and ran into problems. I know there are many out there that have sucessfully registered our cars in Georgia. I went in today and they gave me a bunch of hastle and the paperwork they gave me to fill out and mail in says that it needs to be registered as a 2004.

I know there is a way around this because many of you have done it. Please e-mail me with any sugestions on how to get this accomplished. I was hoping to drive my car on the long veteran's day weekend coming up.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] with any sugestions or post them here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andre

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Might want to get ahold of some of the Georgia guys on here, I know Mr. Barry and he went through it last fall unless they've changed the process. Myself?? I fought with Michigan's Sec of State office from April until October to finally get it fully legal. Here, we have to drive the car to one of the certain offices to have the VIN plate attached, supposed to take 4-6 weeks. 13 weeks after applying for title (at least they let me buy temp paper plates!!) they told me to be there at 9 am on a tuesday. Problem was---car was apart in the paint shop. Canceled, that happened again just before it was done at the paint shop. It took me another 6 weeks to get another appointment, and drove it 35 miles in 37 degrees for them to put a STICKER----yes, actually She handed it to me and told me where She wanted it, and I Put it on. god love bureaucracy 'cause i don't much care for them. LOL!!! Good Luck!!!! toodizzy

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
You can go on line to the Ga Sec of State web site...Georgia law states that if it is a replica of a car Mfg before 1980 , it can be registered as an antique/hobby vehicle...
You can download Ga form MV-1 , and carefully answer the questions....don't let them bluster you into registering as a 2004...it is a replica of a 1965 car....If you research the law online , you will read it for yourself.
Good luck.

·
Senior Charter Member
712 Posts
O.K. I have searched all the archieves and from what I can tell the most correct way to register in GA is to register as a antique/hobby vehicle. I have found the GA form MV-1 but I can't find the law that says that if it is a replica of a car Mfg before 1980 it can be registered as an antique/hobby vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am looking for a 110% legal way to register my Cobra as a 65' I will keep looking in the books but i was unable to find the register it as a 65' instead of a 2004 as well. I will keep on looking.

Wish me luck!

·
Senior Charter Member
712 Posts
I finally found it.

A hobby/antique vehicle license plate may be issued to passenger vehicles, trucks weighing less than 14,000 pounds or motorcycles, for 25 years old or older or for replicas of vehicles 25 years old or older.
If anybody wants me to show them where I found it just let me know.
If anybody wants me to show them where I found it just let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Please! :D :D I have been looking through the 200 page file off the Georgia site for a while with no luck it is not searchable. I think they did that on purpose to make it hard to find what you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't look good. I found the section you found on the site, Google is a wonderful tool. I believe that the section that you found only allows you to get an antique plate not use the year that you are copying for the title.

Please let me know if you find anything else.

·
Senior Charter Member
712 Posts
Have you downloaded the title manual? It has the rules on registering a kit vehicle and it sounds like they are treated like salvage vehicles and must be registered as the year it was built. I have found many post stating that the car was registered as a 1965 under the statement in the tag manual.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Purpledude,

http://www.state.ga.us/dnr/environ/rules_files/exist_files/391-3-20.pdf

ironically it is under the DNR that the law is clearly stated as far as testing for emissions and such. If I read correctly the testing is by-passed because of the model year of the chassis reflected byt the kit.

let me know ya'll interpret it differently. Titling it might be a different matter.

Looking real hard myself as I am about a year or two away from making my kit purchase and another 2 from completion.

- Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.