Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Mustang in garage. Jack it up, mark tire and floor, mark driveshaft and pumpkin, then what?????? How many times do I turn tire?? I forget, thanks,
Doug

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
If the gears have never been changed, check the tag on the differential cover. It should tell you exactly what you have. Granted, someone changed the gear in my 8.8 and put the original tag back on...

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try it. I thought I had read something about turning the tire 3 times and counting the driveshaft rev.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gears are not the original ones so I can't use tag.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car in neutral I assume?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something not right, I only get about 1.75 rev of the driveshaft to 1 rev of tire. Am I missing something?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know if it makes a difference but I should have mentioned that this is a 1964 1/2 Mustang with a 8.0 rear end(posi). I would think that the procedure is the same.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommy,
You are right......not a posi. Now what? What causes the "false readings"? Is this method unusable now?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,275 Posts
If you do not have posi-traction, keep 1 tire from rotating and make the other tire rotate 2 times. This will give the same reading as having both tires rotate 1 revolution with posi.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slaga,
That helps, I got 1.75 rev of driveshaft to 1 rev of tire. If you are correct about rotating twice then I got 3.50 gears.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,275 Posts
I'm about 95% sure that I am right. I am not a mechanic and I did not sleep in a (can't remember the hotel).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts