Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm just starting the process of building a 347 stroker engine for the Cobra - I have a 302 block thats been cleaned, inspected, bored and clearanced for a stroker kit - I need to purchase the rotating assembly next, but am confused by the balancing issue (internal vs external, 28 oz vs 50 oz, what balancer & flywheel is needed). Could someone with some knowledge on this subject please help me out here. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

·
1,595 Posts
Whom ever you purchase the kit from should tell you what balance it is. It could be 0, 28oz in, or 50oz in. That will determine the balancer and flywheel.

Bill

·
Charter Member
1,730 Posts
Double check, but every 347 kit that I have seen is 28 oz vs 50 oz for the stock 302. Makes sense since the 351 series is also 28 oz also. Some flywheels have removeable weights that lets you set it up for 28 or 50 oz, a good feature for you. -John

·
Junior Charter Member
63 Posts
Correct. Most 347 kits are going to be 28oz balanced. If you can afford to spend the extra money, its better to have your machinist go ahead and rebalance the kit to zero (or internal) balance. This will pay dividends in both performance and longevity.

·
Premium Member
17,888 Posts
www.eaglerods.com

Get the entire kit set up exactly the way you want it. Like Charles said, spend the extra bux for zero balance. It will run smoother at high rpm's, and put less strain on the crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts