Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been answered a number of times, but unfortunately at the time it was asked, I was not paying attention.

The fuel gauge is not registering. My tank and sending unit (new) are from a '95 mustang and the gauge is an Auto Meter purchased from F.F.
The problem is, the gauge is not working. I half filled the tank with gas and the gauge didn't move. I removed the sending unit from the tank and manually moved the float arm, but the gauge still didn't budge.

Am I supposed to install a resistor inline. Or is there something I over looked. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks...... Marty

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I have 94 sender. My issue was my AAW wiring harness needed a ground for the guages! It fixed several problems.

Rich

·
Registered
561 Posts
Marty, I have a sending unit and tank from a 94, FFR wiring harness and autometer gauges (not from FFR). I had the same issue, and I called Autometer tech. I had to send my fuel guage back to them to get the guage calibrated to that sending unit. It was quick and was about $20 I think. You might want to call autometer. good luck!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
check your wiring first and make sure getting power to the gauge and that the grounds are good. also, check your sender with a voltmeter set to Ohms, and make sure you're getting the right resistance range out of it for the fuel gauge you've got. should be - 16 ohms empty, 158 ohms full

here's the diagram i made up for myself as reference. I have the Autometer Vintage gauges.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
You can also put a ohm meter on the terminal coming from the sending unit and move the arm. I believe the unit you're working with should be 16-158 ohms. If it's not working, they are usually easily fixed. I have a tutorial on my website if you're interested. (It's also here somewhere)

R :D

·
Junior Charter Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. After viewing the diagram Pete sent, I realized I had switched a couple of wires on the gauge. Changed the wires around and it registers perfect now.

Again, Thanks

Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts