Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to start for the first time today. Engine cranks, but doesn't fire. '93 5.0, Painless EFI harness, Painless 12 Circuit, A3M computer ('93 5sp, used). New coil, distributor, rotor, plugs and wires.

With ignition on, the coil is getting 12V. When cranking, the voltage drops and no spark is produced. Is the coil controlled by the computer at all? What's the next step in troubleshooting?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Distributor came with the motor and was not removed. The TFI module and the pickup are not new. Would all of this be a cause of no spark even at the coil? Does the Painless EFI only work with a Ford Racing computer? Or should it also work with a A9L and A3M computer?

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
Originally posted by Chuck Marshall:
Distributor came with the motor and was not removed. The TFI module and the pickup are not new. Would all of this be a cause of no spark even at the coil? Does the Painless EFI only work with a Ford Racing computer? Or should it also work with a A9L and A3M computer?
Did the engine run ever? In the original car, etc.

The Painless Ford EFI harness for EEC IV systems will work with all EEC IV computers. BTW, the Ford racing computer (EEC IV, there are also others for the focus and newer Mustangs) is a '93 Mustang Cobra computer.

·
Senior Charter Member
480 Posts
Hi Chuck. Be glad to take a ride and see if I can help. Let me know when you are working on it. I'll bring some good reading material for you. Bob

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CEMI, the motor did run in another FFR. It was pulled out the car because of an accident. Thanks for the info on the computer. I'll still try to swap out the computer to rule that out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BK, I'll be working on the car again during the week at night, but then will definitely be working on it on Saturday. I live in W. Barnstable. Very quick drive for you. Let's catch up later in the week. I also got your email.

·
Senior Charter Member
647 Posts
I'm curious also let me know what you find I'm having a similar problem with mine but I'm running carbs instead of fuel injection but my ignition system is all msd computor,dist. & coil I have no spark at coil also maybe it's a capecod thing?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Originally posted by JOHNNYB26:
I'm curious also let me know what you find I'm having a similar problem with mine but I'm running carbs instead of fuel injection but my ignition system is all msd computor,dist. & coil I have no spark at coil also maybe it's a capecod thing?
Hi John, Chuck's motor is Joe's old motor from the wrecked Red Cobra. It was running at the time it wrecked. Chuck did not use an MSD ignition and he never touched the distributor, so I don't think that's the problem (although if the TFI module went bad it would cause this also). He does have a "check engine" light that stays on though...I told him that it might possibly be wiring problem, although he is using a Painless EFI harness which is supposed to be Plug and play.
He also has 12v at the coil with ignition "on", and has 12v during crank.
If I'm not mistaken, the TFI module along with the EEC is what causes the coil to fire, like old time "point" setup...yes???

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
PAB, If I remember correctly, can't I have the TFI tested at an auto parts store?
I have heard that, but I haven't personally done it. I do remember reading a post a few months back where a guy said the auto parts store tested his module and said it was good. He proceeded to chase his tail for a day or two trying to find the problem. Couldn't find a problem any where else. Replaced the TFI module and the car started right up.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
We tested almost the whole wiring harness, TFI, EEC, coil, etc. on mine before we found the source of a similar no-spark problem. Try disconnecting the wire to the tach as your tach may be grounded...it prevented my coil from getting the signal to spark.

Check this prior thread for other ideas.

Drew
FFR#3928

[ January 27, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: DrewFFRCobra ]

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read that about the tach, but my tach is not hooked up. As for grounds, all that I have are:

1. Engine
2. Battery
3. Painless EFI harness
4. Fuel pump

I couldn't find a ground on the Painless 12 circuit harness. But I also can't imagine that that is the problem. I bought a spark tester, so I can make sure that it's not user error in using a screw driver to check for spark.

How much was the TFI?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts