Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed many times on the forum, but I have not been able to find all the right answers by searching the archives.

I currently have a 7.5 rear out of an '84 Ford Capri with Ranger axles and drums.

Does anybody know what my best option is if I want to upgrade to an 8.8 disk setup without altering my width (I have 315 wide tires in the rear and not an inch to spare)?

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Love that topic. Just how does one educate their rear end :D ?

·
1,123 Posts
My understanding is the 7.5 rearend is not as strong as a 8.8 and the gear ratios, mounting holes make it not workable for a FFR build. I would suggest looking for a 8.8

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The question is width.
The 8.8 out of a Mustang 87-93 is 59.5 inches wide "flange to flange", +/- 1/4".

The Ranger axles are good in the 8.8, so the two solid axle setups may be very close to the same width.

Who knows the width of a '84 Ford Capri ??

·
1,485 Posts
All you have to do is get an 8.8 out of a'86-'93 and just install the axles and and drums from your 7.5 and you have a 5-lug 8.8 that is the same width you hae now.

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom,

What I'm after is an 8.8 5 lug disk setup. Did ford make a 5 lug disk rear prior to '94?

Also what the difference between fox and sn95?

·
Premium Member
16,326 Posts
As Tom said, you should be able to grab an 8.8, which should be the same width, and just swap in the 5 lug axles from your 7.5 to keep it 5 lug.

sn95 have a wider track.

No disks on the pre-94's but you can get a disk setup through Richard Oben.

Cheers, Rod

·
1,485 Posts
They did have rear disk on the SVO Mustangs and the '93 Mustang Cobra but both use a wider track like the SN-95's('94 and up) Mustangs. I agree with Rod, the best way to keep the width you have now is to get the rear caliper brackets from Richard Oben or I think another forum vendor offered a set also. I used Richards brackets on the FFCars Spec Racer and they worked well.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Jaime, the FX track is the best for all wheel fitment (this you already know). There is a bunch of brake stuff on the brakes page of my website (below). We can sell the kit less axles also. In short get an 8.8 and all the brakes from a 94 Mustang and use our brackets to stay FX track. Cheers Richard.

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard,

Let me make sure I've got this down correctly.
1. get a complete '94 or newer 8.8 with rotors and calipers
2. use my existing 5 lug drum Ranger axles
3. get the 5-Lug SN95 rear disk brake conversion kit

So the axle, not the rear case itself, is what determines the width? I did not realize I could install rotors and calipers on my Ranger 5 lug drum axles. What's the note in your instructions about "right side only '89 or older Ranger axles"?

Thanks,
Jaime

·
Premium Member
16,326 Posts
The Ranger has two different length axles because the diff is offset but you need two the same length and the passenger side on the Ranger is the right length. You can also get the same axle shafts from the passenger side only of an Aerostar (opposite the Ranger). But if you already have the 5-lug axles for the 7.5 they should be the right ones for the 8.8 as well.

Cheers, Rod

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dv/dt,

Excellent. Thanks for explaining.

Did I get the rest of it correct?

·
1,485 Posts
Just don't get a '99 and up rearend as those housings are wider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts