1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Any of them will work well. I prefer the Holley for it's ease of adjustment and overall tuning capability.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahah Ozona... whats on your mind? Im leaning towards that last one.. the new polished 600. you smell something fishy?

·
6,546 Posts
Just be careful, lots of shysters on e-bay in the car parts section.

The holley looks like the best of the 3 IMHO, it does have marks around the stud holes in the baseplate. These would indicate it was bolted down to something.

The first Edelbrock looks like it was spray painted. Could just be a bad picture.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.... ill go with the holley.
Yeah the auction stated that it was only used as a display.. I guess Ill roll the dice!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
I've had decent luck on e-bay but I'm leary of getting a carb there so I decided to buy new. FWIW, here was my thinking. I've read scary feedback on some vendors. The biggest worry I had was it will be a while before I could use the carb and then find out that I had problems. Maybe someone changed jets, drilled passages, who knows? It can take a while to sort out, longer if you've never done it before. And then, I might have to spend the money saved in replacement parts.

Just checked out the E-bay post. Same carb remanufactured from summit for 230.

Summit sells Edelbrock remanufactured carbs Re-man 600 cfm . I'd feel better with one of these.

I just purchased the holley List 80783 (650CFM 4150) this morning for about $100 more. I've worked on holley's before and I'm comfortable with them. The 4150 offers more adjustability than the 4160 but costs about $70 more. For about $260, this is another good choice Holley 4160 - list 80457

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
When I first built my car I to was on a budget. Aren't most of us. I bought a used Holley 650 Dbl with mechanical secondaries. This carb was nothing but trouble. Finally I took it apart to rebuild it and found the previous owner plugged the secondary power valve.

Said enough is enough and purchased a brand new Holley 670 street avenger. One of the best moves I made.

I would be leery of used carbs.

Mike

·
Charter Member
768 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the Holley 600. The people at Ford MotorSports tell me that I wont be able to reach the full HP of that motor (345) with a 600. They say the 600 will only get me around 325, but Ill just have to see. What do you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts