Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to come up with a solution to add a little more resistance and safety to my reverse EFI throttle. I think I'll install a spring between the opposite end of the throttle lever and secure it to my fabricated bracket (but I am open to suggestions).
So I measured and need a spring less than 3" long to act as a throttle return spring.
I did a search on Summit and found about 20 different choices.
Can anyone make a recommendation before I blindly select one?

I found this set of 5 springs, but really don't know which one to go with.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-59002/overview/

Here's my original post and picture:

My reverse EFI throttle cable and Russ Thompson Pedal

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,710 Posts

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
What Rich said.

Be careful with alignment when using those "spring inside a spring" type. If they travel through an arc the inner and outer coils can bind on one another and will hang the throttle at a high idle.

Jeff

· Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
Just wonder why you don't feel the spring that is part of throttle body won't be adequate enough? From everything I have seen they work great. Only time they may not is once the shaft on throttle body wear enough causing binding of plate. Usually only seen on high mileage vehicles. IMO keep it simple.

· Vendor
8,338 Posts
Just wonder why you don't feel the spring that is part of throttle body won't be adequate enough? From everything I have seen they work great. Only time they may not is once the shaft on throttle body wear enough causing binding of plate. Usually only seen on high mileage vehicles. IMO keep it simple.
Always run dual return springs to make sure the throttle closes even if one breaks. Can you imagine the damage/injury that could be caused if the TB return spring broke, throttle went went wide open because you didn't put on a $4 safety part...

· Registered
52 Posts
I think if I’m not mistaken that the stock 88 -90 or so 5.0 mustang has a throttle setup that would work, or you could addapt the design to your setup.
It uses a throttle cable with a spring that pulls the cable out ( spring compression)to assist the throttle body spring during release of the peddle.

Worked for me, and is very smooth with a clean look.

· Registered
157 Posts
This is what I did on mine. I used the factory EFI throttle bracket and took a washer bent it 90 degrees in the middle and mounted it to the EFI bracket. The springs are from an autoparts store (spring assortment from the HELP section). Looks like yours is a little different on the setup than mine, but maybe you can adapt something similar. I definitely would not rely on the spring on the throttle body by itself. Hope this helps.

Attachments

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I would get that set from Summit, price is good, and you have some spares if you screw up the first one..lol

The advantage is you can attach one with just the right amount of tension, that feels good to you. It looks like they should be long enough to place it as your planning, and still have enough pressure to return the throttle lever to idle. Make sure you can go WOT without too much pedal pressure, but it will still return completely. To short, and you might over stretch it.

The one I used, actually looks somewhat like the smaller of the bunch in Summits picture, but it may be lighter tension as well. That one may be too much tension.

As mentioned, even the stock Ford EFI cable has an added spring, so IMO good planning on anyone's part, to have one.

My old Malibu has the factory double spring set up, which works fine, but as Jeff mentions, use precaution in using the double springs, which in reality, are only needed for a carb build. Carb's do not have the throttle lever back up spring, as the EFI does.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered the double springs from Summit this morning after reading the replies.
I'll start with one spring and go from there.
Thanks guys!

· Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
I got an assortment of springs from an auto parts store and experimented to find the right one/ones. However, if I put enough spring to return the throttles completely (stack injection system), it was difficult to drive. So I added a cable from the throttle to cockpit so I can pull the throttles completely closed when necessary.

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
My old FJ45 Landcruiser pick up had a stock, dash mounted, push/pull cable throttle control. Poor man's cruise control..lol.
It actually came in very handy..:)

· Registered
2 Posts
If you're looking for a particular spring rate, length, style, etc., I'd try some place like McMaster Carr. The nice thing is that they actually have specs for the springs, instead of buying a whole bunch of springs with unknown physical properties and trying to cobble together something that works.

You have your throttle linkage already assembled, so you know the dimensions of the envelope that you're working within. If you can make some educated guesses about the spring rate needed for a proper safety return without causing an overly stiff throttle pedal, you're good to go.

And yes, it's my first post. This thread caught my interest for some reason, probably because I've gone through this process a few times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.