Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a MK I Roadster. I live in Sacramento and frequently drive it to Los Angeles, which is around 600 miles or so. I am getting around 22mph with my 381hp 302 set up right now with a t-5 and 3:08 rear end. I can get there with about two fill-ups on the way down. I am always thinking of ways to get more power, but I really like my milage. It's not the cost of the gas, it's the range of the car. If I had a 427 I would fill up twice as much as my 302. I hear a lot of 427 owners getting 10 or 11 mpg. I'm trying to figure out the best configuration for as much horsepower and as much milage as someone can hope for for a fast street cobra that serves as secondary transportation and weekend warrior duties. If put a blower on, what would my milage be around? What about a stroker 347? If you have ok or good milage and high power readings, what is your set-up?

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
If you drive the same style, the blower won't change your mileage enough to matter.

·
8,153 Posts
The blower won't degrease mileage by any measurable ammount assuming you don't use the extra power under your right foot. I regularly get over 20mpg from mine on a highway cruise however that can be reduced to single digits if you start playing with all the extra power. I normally average about 14mpg with a mix of short local drives and some 'playing'.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
When I changed to a Vortech S Trim blower my mileage went from around 22 MPG to about 15 MPG. The injectors went from 24's to 42's and it is VERY hard to stay out of the power.
I have a 302 with 327 gears.
Take care,
Ron

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
I see 20 mpg highway, around 15-16 mixed (depending on the right foot). Aggressive driving means single digits. Takes fuel to mke power

302, Tremec 5 speed, 3.27 rear, 42lb inj., Vortech S-trim. The low 2000 rpm highway cruise is the key to decent mileage.

I would guess a stroker would affect your mileage more, as you have to feed that displacement 100% of the time. Steeper rear gear will also decrease your highway mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts