Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1/6 scorpion roller rockers and hydralic lifters. Lash is obviously set diffrent than other types. The hex socket pulls the rocker wrist pin down solid aginst the petestal saddle, and I have been told to tighten the bolt down 3/4 of a turn and I have been told to pull it down to 20lbs. with a torque wrench so which is it. There are no lock nuts, so where ever you tighten the bolts to is it. I've been plagued with valve tick for months and want to do this right before I put the valve covers back on. This is a street machine that only has 3500mi. on it and no abuse with the gas petal Just a 302 with alum heads and a E303 can.
Thanks for any help. Its a nice Sun. and I would like to button it all up today.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
There are no lock nuts, so where ever you tighten the bolts to is it. I've been plagued with valve tick for months
No lock nuts - I'm not sure I understand.

A quick google search shows they should be held down by "polylocks" (like every other roller rocker I can think of). A nut with an allen screw in the middle to lock it up.

On those (with hydrualic lifters), you would want to rotate the engine until both pushrods on a cylinder are down (on the base circle of the cam) and then take the nut (polylock) down until the slack is out of the rocker (engaging both pushrod and valve) and then go about another half a turn on the nut (polylock) and run the allen screw down the middle to lock the nut (polylock) in place...

Hope that makes sense???

Mike

P.S. - if you can't get to where you need to be to lock them with the allen screws - your pushrods are too short or your studs are too long...

·
FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
With a hydraulic roller cam and pedestal rockers you just torque the bolts (I believe the spec is 20 ft/lbs) and leave it. Non rollers need to be adjusted to zero lash plus 3/4 turn and locked down by a hex screw in the center of the bolt.
HTH
Bill

·
3,596 Posts
my understanding is that with the correct pushrod length you go for zero lash at base circle and go for torque spec at half a turn more. You can use various purpose-designed shims to get there. Also google search...I believe Bad Shoe productions has a video all a out it.
Good luck, Sten

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok; Steno and Billybob are right! I actually had a lightbulb go off and I went on the Scorpion valve train website and walah, there was the complete instructions on how to adjust them properly. Of course they have been set wrong for the last 3500mi. but maybe I can redo them with confidence now! 20lbs. torque reached between 1/2 to one turn or shim. Thanks all, this site is always so helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.