Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i know there are tons of variables involved here but surly there are a ton of guys running what I have.

I would like a rough and dirty measurement of you exhaust cutouts. Height mainly.

Car is a MK 3 with FFR 4 into 4 headers. 302 with AFR heads. Vert motor mounts.

I currently have 5 inches to the top of cutout from bottom edge of body.

Car is a completed car and I removed the solid mounts and installed the vert mounts. I assembled car 12 years ago and not sure why it has solid mounts but I’m thinking now it has something to do with it being painted and I didn’t want to cut on it.

I also noticed I’ve got some interference at the bottom of header flange and cylinder heads. Just below the exhaust ports. I’ve read some old threads that talked about this. I’m going to remove headers and cut that flange down.

I’m just wondering if I need to cut the body or keep shifting and moving things to line it up better.

Should have left well enough alone cause the other setup lined up perfect. I’ve just started hating the vibration I’m getting from the solid mounts.

Thanks for any help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,400 Posts
I measured my MK1 and I have 5-1/2" to the top of the cutout. I might have trimmed them up a little when I switched to 4 into 4's. I have a 351W with Energy Suspensions mounts which are the same height as the convertible mounts. The AFRs might have slightly raised exhaust ports but it typically doesnt get amplified at the body enough to have to trim. You can trim back with a sanding drum and then use a sharpie that closely matches your paint to color in the edge. Its not that noticeable, just dont slip with the sander! Make sure your mounts are on the correct side and fully seated on the frame mounts. There is a little wiggle room, enough to get the engine level, maybe that will even them out. Good Luck!

Mike

·
Charter Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the measurements. At first glance that’s the amount it looks like I need ( another 1/2 in)

All too familiar with the shake and pry to get pipes lined up. Just making sure I have the cut out at least close

·
Senior Charter Member
1,697 Posts
Regarding the interference on the flanges if the headers aren't seated against the head surface that may be lifting the outlet ends some. It doesn't take much offset at the head end to move the outlets up possibly and inch or more. Just a possibility. So fix the header issue before doing anything to the body.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
2 cents o cutting after paint

When I went to 4x4s from J-pipe I needed to reshape the hole. A little taller, 1/2 shouds right and I needed to adjust front edge a bit.

I found the found the 220 grit on a little drum (maybe 1") in an electric drill worked for me. Nice and slow. The dremel was too fast and wanted to skate,

Good luck
StephenP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts