Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The Sears Krapmore canister one we've had for the last few years stinks (literally) when it comes to our sheltie's hair. About every other time, I have to completely disassemble the beater-brush / motor assembly and spend about a half hour picking the hair out. It's gross, I'm fed up, and this thing is going into the trash.

Question... Do any of you 'long haired dog owning guys' have an upright style vacuum that you really suggest? I've heard the ads and stuff and read Consumer Reports but haven't really read about this..

Any and all replies welcomed!

R :D

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,432 Posts
Randy,
I have looked at Dyson, and from what I see they have addressed every issue you describe. All the joints snap apart to clean out and it seems engineered to the point that until the motor burns out , it will always work. No bags. Nice quality plastics and molding. I see it lasting far longer than any we have had.

Jack

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You know, sometimes you asked the weirdest questions. Too funny, Randy.

Here ya go, a man's upright cleaner. 6.5HP and 22 gallons of dog hair grabbing, carpet pulling, sucking power. Makes me want to grunt and eat raw read meat. Enjoy, my friend:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=H5187

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife has a Kirby, works really well, it even has a drive motor, so easy to push you could vacuum the house using just one finger. Its quite nice actually=)

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Dyson all the way. We have a long hair black sheppard in London who gets hair everywhere. The Dyson gets it all up. Their service is phenominal, even in London where service typically sucks. My son sucked up the curtain and jammed the motor. They came out the next day and replaced the motor for free, even though we had it for over a year and had no reciept. I understand that every employee has to learn to take them apart and put them back together.

·
Junior Charter Member
356 Posts
Echo on the Dyson. Just got one to replace our old Sears vac, and it does a great job. We have a black lab, so short black hairs everywhere to pick up.

-Will

·
7,097 Posts
Interesting...we were shopping for a vac just a few months ago. We compared the Dyson & the Sears Progressive upright. The sales lady was pushing the Dyson pretty hard (obvious commission) I asked for a demo. She dumped a pile of dirt on a carpet and then sucked it up...Sears first...got every last bit. Then the Dyson. Had to go over it three or four times!!!
Easy decision on our part. $100 less too.
Got it home and the wife had to empty the container numerous times as it was picking up dog hair that we didn't know was there! Cleans great.
So I guess I'm the minority here, but the Sears model does great on dog hair. BTW, it's has an infrared beam that senses dirt flow. When no more dirt is being picked up, the light goes from amber to green...move to th next spot.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
after ammassing a small collection of uprights my wife bought a Dyson and loves it, i am really surprised you found something else you like better cause i actually tested the Dyson by going over a well vaccumed section of carpet and the Dyson picked up even more than two others, especially pet hair, maybe something was clogged in the line on that model cause they pick up incredibly well........Vinny

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Dyson, we have a Golden Retriever, an English Standard, which are very blonde and her hair shows up on everything. Like the rest, it sucks up every thing; the Hepa filter doesn’t allow any dog hair smell to leave the vacuum.

Hank

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
outstanding guys.. My main trouble with the dog hair is that it gets round around the beater-brush and then burns! The bearings on my Kenmore (Krapmore) are bronze and wood! (believe it or not)

Let's just say that it's a terrible ordeal to clean all the long hair out of it. So, if you guys with long haired dogs like your Dyson's, that's good enough for me to buy one.

-R :D

[ December 10, 2005, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: ChevyCobra - Randy J. ]

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Randy,

The long hair will still wrap around the beater brush, but it will take much longer for it to happen, and it won't burn. What you do as normal maintenance, is remove the bottom plate with a screw driver or dime, and use a pair of scissors to cut the hair off along the centerline of the brush tube, takes less than three minutes and your set for another 2-3 months of hairless rugs.

Hank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I think I have the same model (Sears) that Mike Holt has and I'm very happy with it. It's true that the brush collects hair and needs to be cleaned periodically or it will seize up and cook the bearing. Does the Dyson not have a beater/brush or does it just suck so hard it cleans the brush itself?

The best thing about the Sears vacs though (and just about every other appliance) is that you can order parts and fix it yourself here:

http://www3.sears.com/

They actually have parts for many other brands that Sears doesn't sell. Awesome resource for the DIY'er (like pretty much all of us?)

-- Tim

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity!!!!!

I bought my wife a simplicity in 1998 and is still kickin butt today. They come with a 5 year warranty and will suck the chrome off a bumper. They also have an attachment kit that comes with a 15+ foot hose that my wife uses on the hard floors, furniture and carpets. This may be the strongest vacuum I have seen for the money. FWIW, I have the 7 series, but will upgrade when it finally craps out to the synergy line. I tried one of the synergy vacuums out recently and was amazed. It has a dual motor system in it and is EXTREMLY powerful. HTH

simplicity uprights

PS, I don't mean to crap on Dyson's but I did try one out and was not very impressed. I felt they were better than the hoovers and kenmores out there, but not even close to the power that the Simplicity puts out. IMHO

PSS: BTW, I had 2 cocker spaniels and you would never know it. I lost one, but still, what suprises my wife and I is that everytime we come home from vacation or a trip of any length of time, the first thing we smell when we walk in the house is the smell of new house smell (The house is only 3 years old) There is no hint of dog hair, dander or odor in the house at all.

[ December 10, 2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Smackdown Hotel ]

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.

Keep in mind, that my Krapmore sucks ok. ...It's just that damn dog hair that I'm worried about!
The hair actually killed the little stair attachment that comes with it.

·
7,097 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyCobra - Randy J.:
Thanks guys.

Keep in mind, that my Krapmore sucks ok. ...It's just that damn dog hair that I'm worried about!
The hair actually killed the little stair attachment that comes with it.

OHHHHHH! Well then get rid of the dog! :D :D

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike, I tried that! Jul gave me 'the look'. :mad:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Seems like you could go after the dog with the Dyson and get rid of the problem at the source.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
We have a dyson, too, and a pretty fancy one (DC15). They aren't all the same. I read one of the designs (maybe discontinued now) would get clogged more easily than others, but I don't remember which. I highly recommend it and everyone I know who has one is very happy with it.

There is a good way to get one on the cheap. You can get 20% off coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond. It can save you $100 if you get the nice one. You can sign up to get the coupons by mail here. Oncne you do, they come once or twice a month. One caveat: you must intercept most of the coupons or you will be drowning in bed sheets and bathroom accessories.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts