Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Santa Clara area that can part with a couple of 5.0L hyd. lifters from a junked engine ???? I've figured out my pushrod length and it is indeed 6.250" will be ordering those but here's a question:

Will the pushrods in FRPP's catalog be able to take the expected 400hp? They're suppose to be hardened but don't know to what HP maximum they'll hold up to. Mike Forte??? Anyone???

·
3,760 Posts
Hardened pushrods aren't an automatic upgrade for a 5.0. If you are using pedastal-mounted rocker arms, you must use non-hardened pushrods. If your heads are set up for it and you are using stud-mounted rockers, then you must use hardened pushrods because the non-hardened pushrods cannot withstand the interference from the guideplates. (Guideplates are required with stud-mounted rockers.)

Guys use those FMS pushrods all the time on blown and nitrous cars, they'll definitely withstand 400 hp. The only reason to switch to a different brand, IMHO, is if you are changing out other valvetrain components. For example, if you have a Comp Cams cam and lifters and rockers, I'd use Comp pushrods. Can't explain exactly why I think that tying all the parts together from one manufacturer makes sense to me, it just does.

AJ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
Hey AJ,
Why would you say that you must use non-hardened pushrods with pedestal rockers? I can understand the need to use hardened pushrods with guide plates, I have seen the damage first hand. But I havent heard that you cant use hardened pushrods with pedestal rockers, just curious.
BTW, I have a couple extra roller lifters I can send out to you if noone else closer comes up with anything.

Mike

·
1,123 Posts
I am in Salt Lake City and have a set of used roller lifters. If you need a couple you a welcome to them???

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
acmikee has offered me what i need; he's about 30 minutes from my home. PM'd him back and will call.

I'm using a CompCam compllete "K" kit and stud-mounted rocker w/guides. I'd love to have the CompCam's "high-tech" 4130 cromo rods but $135! v.s. $45 from FRPP (retail).

So the trick as I understand it, is to remove the retainer clip, and fill the insides of the lifters with just about anything that'll keep it from collapsing?

[ July 26, 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: 289FIA_Cobra ]

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dan, I sent you an email
Ed R

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wade, thank you very much.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to thank acmikee again for the use of a couple of pushrods and lifters. As it turns out Mike, these things are frozen! I tried using a 20oz. mallett to get the things to move/rebound but nothing. So I installed them in the engine and not once did they go down; then again, I'm only using the "check" springs supplied by Comp-Cam.

I also like the clean and simple setup of your red FFR.

In any case, hope you and wife like the MC Pie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.