Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing with the British connection, check out this hard top design. That's the best I've seen. Wonder if anyone in the US is making anything like it.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Very cool video, although I don't think I'll ever call these cars "boring."

John

·
Snake Farmer
10,280 Posts
He mentions it's a prototype for them. Haven't seen one in N.A yet, that has that feature.
The gull wing type window would probably help tremendously in getting in and out. The fellow in the video made it look very easy, but he was not a large fellow anyway.
I always thought there was no way I could use a standard type hardtop, as I would have serious issues entering & exiting. Actually a soft top with the same gull wing feature could become quite popular for the same reason..

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
I like this top even better. This is their Le Mans top. This top does make me drool a little.

http://www.v8cobra.com/images/h_top/IMG_1722.jpg

Not that I am a gull wind door fanatic, but I think that really works on these cars for making it easy to get in and out. I have a soft top and it is not that bad getting in and out. I don't know if I'll be able to say that in 10 years though.

·
8,350 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
One of the things that impressed me most about the video was the amount of trunk space the GD had, my FFR only has about half that space and that's with the dropped trunk floor!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the things that impressed me most about the video was the amount of trunk space the GD had, my FFR only has about half that space and that's with the dropped trunk floor!
I was impressed also that all that luggage fit into the trunk. But I like the top most of all.:grin2:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,253 Posts
FYI, I have an APE top and I am 6ft 2in tall, 76 years young and have no problem getting in and out of my MK1. After a few head bumps you develop a "system" and it isn't a problem after that!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looks nice! The gull wings are cool.

I really like the LeMans hard top and the swept back rear window.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,705 Posts
Tony, how do you latch the gull wings closed? Don't know how I missed your top but I did. Now I am thinking about working on my APE top.

·
Snake Farmer
10,280 Posts
FYI, I have an APE top and I am 6ft 2in tall, 76 years young and have no problem getting in and out of my MK1. After a few head bumps you develop a "system" and it isn't a problem after that!
Could you post an instructional video please Dave..I'd like to see how it's done..:)

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
I was impressed also that all that luggage fit into the trunk. But I like the top most of all.:grin2:
At my last autocross, here is what I pulled out of my FFR trunk. I do have the drop mod. I actually surprised myself, and a few other people. I could had gotten a few more small things in there.

Full face helmet
2 full softside coolers. 1 med, 1 small
Medium sized craftsman tool bag.
Folding chair
Medium size sports bag.
Golf umbrella
Side curtains (windows) for my soft top
two bags for soft top
Snapless tonneau cover
Moroso tire gauge
roll of paper towels
Bottle of Windex
extra t-shirt
extra hat
First aid kit

I had quite the pile of stuff behind my car.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,705 Posts
Thanks Tony, I see them now in a couple of your pics.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Instructions on How to fabricate Tony's quarter windows

In looking back at all my Hardtop/Side Curtain/Quarter Window files, I came across the instructions below that Tony graciously provided several years ago in how to fabricate his quarter windows. If you look closely at the photo showing his quarter windows, you might ask as I did... how did he do that. Well here you go............. Thanks Again Tony.

Steps to do quarter windows

1. Create a template of the shape you want the window to be.
2. Cut two identical windows out of 1/8 (Plexiglas?)
3. Trace around the windows so that you have an outline on your top
4. Cut the top so that the window just barely fits in the hole.
5. Tape a piece of paper on the inside surfaces of the Plexiglas window, and then cover it with aluminum foil. The paper is insulation and the aluminum foil fiberglass won’t let fiberglass stick to it. The paper insulation is needed because the fiberglass chemical reaction puts out enough heat to ruin the window, don’t ask how I know.
6. Tape the window (with the foil side to the inside of the top) flush with the outside of the top, all the way around the circumference, this will keep the fiberglass from getting on the outside surface.
7. Fiberglass the inside of the top, at least 1" on the top and 1" on the aluminum foil covering the window. Lay enough glass to make it 1/8 thick.
8. let dry. Pull tape off of window/top and remove the window. You now have created a step that the window can be secured to. Trim this step to about 5/8 of an inch all the way around the hole in the top.
9. Take the foil and paper off the window set the window in the hole and trace around the fiberglass step you created. Carefully take a razor blade and cut the plastic coating on the Plexiglas (the inside part of the window only) pull this 5/8 ring of plastic off the window. Set the window back in the top and drill holes evenly spaced in the Plexiglas and fiberglass. Counter sink the holes in the Plexiglas
10. Now paint the window gloss black.
11. Pull the rest of the plastic covering from both sides of the window.
12. I use black silicon gasket maker that I put on the ledge of the fiberglass, this is under the paint on the window and no one see it and it will not leak.
13. Put stainless counter sunk screws thru holes in window and tighten
14. you now have flush windows with no weather-stripping to deal with. The stainless screws could be painted black if you feel the need to make them disappear.
15. make sure you buy the right kind of plastic. one that you can bend and drill and it won't crack. styrene plastic is horrible, i think, plexiglas or lexan is what I used, but not sure. it was the highest quality plastic the lowes had (red code).
have fun and post pictures!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts