Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, October 22, 2005, Kay & I along with Tom Smith & Sabra Mills will host the Mount Mitchell Run. Make a day or a Fall “Leaf Peeker” Weekend of it.

OVERVIEW:
Drive some Dragon like stretches of the Black Mountains, view North Carolina’s fall beauty from the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt. Mitchell and descend to our homes a few miles away for bench racing on the porch, hot food, campfire & fellowship.

At 6684 feet, Mount Mitchell http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momi/home.html is the highest peak East of the Mississippi. Mount Mitchell State Park sits adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Mile Marker 355. Plan on it being VERY COLD AND WINDY.

GATHERING / DEPARTURE POINT:
- Meet between 9-10 AM, west of Marion, NC on NC-70 at the Lowe’s Store parking lot.
- Take I-40 Exit 86 onto NC-226. Follow NC-221/226 approx. 6 miles to the intersection of NC-70.
- Turn left. The Lowe’s parking lot is ~200 yards down on the right. A Wendy’s, McDonalds,
Food Lion & Wal-Mart are adjacent.
- BYOB (we live in a dry county)…..Beer and wine are available at the Food Lion before we start
up the Run.

THE RUN:
At 10AM sharp we’ll drive west on NC-70 approximately 2 miles and turn right onto NC-80. We’ll enjoy a gradual ~15 mile climb along Buck Creek, past Lake Tahoma and the Buck Creek Campground. The climb will become steeper, with more turns, tighter turns and fewer residential entrances as you drive through Pisgah National Forrest to the Blue Ridge Parkway. You’ll enjoy this part! At the top, we will park and enjoy the sounds of the others as they climb to the gap.

When all have ascended, we’ll turn south on the Parkway for a 12 mile drive to Mt. Mitchell State Park, and a 5 mile climb up NC- 128 to the Mitchell summit. Here you can enjoy the view, purchase coffee or hot chocolate from the Rangers and hike to the Observation Tower. We’ll plan to stay here until about Noon……..DRESS WARMLY.

We’ll retrace our path to NC-80 and turn west traveling about 12 miles down to our homes at 915 Hall’s Chapel Road near the South Toe River for lunch & fellowship. Bring chairs if you can. NO dirt roads, but our drive is graveled.

RETURN HOME:
When you leave, you can exit east to Marion, south to Asheville or north to Boone/Blowing Rock (each about an hour away). With some internet searching you can find lodging nearby. Plan to make a weekend of it and take your wives through the Asheville or Boone/Blowing Rock shopping districts on the way home on Sunday.

EMERGENCIES:
If you are late, or get lost, you’ll still get to eat. Call us at 828-675-4507 for directions.
Leave this number with others for emergencies.

QUESTIONS: Catch us at 828-675-4507.

Please respond here if you intend to come.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Confirmed: Bob/Donna Jones and Dave/Yvonne Van Sleen

·
7,134 Posts
Phillip you guys rock , but my wife has that weekend down to see the Strolling Bones in Charlotte with all her girlfriends, and I have an invite to do the BMW driving school in Spartanburg that weekend too. mmmmm too many things to do, too few days....

·
Banned
426 Posts
This sounds like fun.
Count Diana and myself in

Thanks

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're off to a good start.

The rest of you NC/SC/Tn guys look this over. Easy to get here on the interstates.

Should be a beautiful ride...........Make a weekend of it and you Ga/Va folks can get here to.

·
Junior Charter Member
87 Posts
Phillip,

Please count me in. I would like to bring my wife, Samantha and my daughter Amelia along as well, although they probably won't do the run in the Cobra. I will call you to discuss further.

Thanks again for great organization.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CONFIRMED 7 cars and couples are ready to go.
We've got two houses, two porches and two fire pits when the Run is complete....so there's room for more.

Two more weeks to go.

If you know others (Cobra make is not important), get them interested. They should be able to get to Marion by 10AM departure.

Meet you in the Lowe's parking lot on the 22nd. Dress warmly.

Phillip

·
7,134 Posts
Working on farming the kids out at 6am..... might just see me as long as the car doesn't get bogged down at Whitby the week after next, where it is finally getting tuned.

Was supposed to do BMW drivers school but my wife is out of town Friday night, so next best would be a long run with you guys, early Saturday.

·
Banned
426 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
589 Posts
SC, GA, TN, & NC owners, and any others...this is a good opportunity to take the wife on a nice Cobra outing...come join the fun.

If it's too far to make it to the meeting place by the 10AM departure, come over to Marion, NC on Friday, that's what we are doing. The Comfort Inn rate was $71.99 when I made the reservations which is pretty good during "Leaf Peeking" weekends .

Bob Jones/Raleigh

·
Cobra Pilot
305 Posts
Phillip and Kay,

Mom and Dad have agreed to watch the kids on the 22nd, so Mary and I are planning to come!!

Danny and Mary Kight
"Speedy" and "Supermodel"

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news. The Door Prize problem is solved.

The guys can draw straws to see who sits beside the Supermodel at lunch.

No that won't work, we don't have anything of equal value for the wives.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The weather is going to be great for this time of year, and the leaves should be turning...great opportunity to see the sights, highest point in the Eastern U.S.; share the fellowship of other FFR owners; and most importantly, have the opportunity to take the wife on an FFR outing that has the chance of appealing to her. (Rather than taking her to Lowe's Speedway ha-ha)

Come join in the fun...Kaye & Phillip have cranked up a neat trip for us to enjoy.

Bob Jones/Raleigh

·
Junior Charter Member
87 Posts
Phillip,

Unfortunately I am going to have to bow out this weekend. I had made the error of forgeting it was my daughter's birthday party !!

Sorry to miss the car fun. But the birthday party is going to be fantastic instead.

Thanks for the invite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts