Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing my engine from car I found these in my bell housing and trapped between the aluminum plate and the block. I have no idea what they are and everything that is supposed to be in there is there and appears to be in good shape. I am totally stumped and going to pretend I never saw them. The block is a 5.0 with a T5 transe. Any Ideas?

:confused: :confused: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb318/thadeusshelly/IMG_1211.jpg?t=1179853081

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
118 Posts
The round cylinders look like dowel pins, but I'm not sure where those springs would have come from.

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
bits of an old clutch?
old dowel pins?

someone long long ago didn't check all the old broken bits were removed from the bell before all the shiny new bits went in?

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
Agree with Doug; looks like destroyed clutch plate springs, and alignment pins. Did you inspect the clutch for damage?

·
Junior Charter Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch appears to be in great shape with not much wear and the springs seem to all be there and complete. I put the block and trans in about a year ago. At that time I cleaned them both really well and never noticed these parts. Is it possible they could have came from my starter? I am now on my second starter.

·
7,888 Posts
Look at the size of the cup in relationship to the springs. No way they are clutch springs. Some appear to be rectangular wound springs too. What are the clumps of stuff?

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Maybe a mouse was trying to build a set of box springs so he could sleep better over the winter.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
To be serious it looks like pieces of springs and brushes out of a starter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm really surprized that this has you guys stumped! It's actually quite simple. Normally, there's nothing behind that plate but dust.

·
Junior Charter Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The chunks are thin metal (about 1mm thick) that looks like it has been pretty beat up. The plate that seals the bell housing was never tightened so I bet there were more of these parts but they fell out the bottom of the bell housing. I sure hope they are not from my new starter. I will have to check that when I get home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the four round dowel looking peices concern me ~ i can't place them and they seem unlikely from the starter ~ even the springs if they are from the brushes (which they do kinda look like) the starter that came off would have had to fall apart ~ it is a 302 with a t-5 right?? what type of clutch ?? mabe some springs from the pressure plate and the dowels from the flywheel ~ i have seen dowels fall out before; normally on flywheels that have been resufaced or where a pressure plate has been left loose

·
FFCobra Fanatic
903 Posts
Maybe you've got a very malicious friend? Had a coworker who used to occasionally pour used oil under the car of a particularly anal coworker. One time he siphoned out a gallon of gas a couple of weeks apart too. Just the apparent drop in mileage drove the guy to distraction.

Seriously, are those square springs? Clutches I've seen were round. Don't starters only have two brushes typically?

Maybe they were lodged in your old starter, from previous damage, and got missed during the cleaning process before?

·
Registered
126 Posts
i think std ford starters have four brushes ~ not sure tho ~ i have been looking for some pic's of a destroyed pressure plate to look at the springs ~ but if memory serves me right the brushes are in the back of the starter motor body i can't see how they would make it all the way out in one peice

another thing is what plate are you talking about that wasn't tightened ~ if that is the bell housing then there could have been severe alignment issues and this could cause a pressure plate to come apart just my thoughts

good luck i will try and keep looking

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
My mouse theory?

·
Junior Charter Member
55 Posts
I believe it's the remains of an exploded starter bendix.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Originally posted by raceman:
I believe it's the remains of an exploded starter bendix.
I'm with raceman..
Looks like the guts to a bendix gear, the parts you never see...
3/1 says that the starter exploded, was replaced and the guts to the bendix were just left in the bellhousing and settled to the bottom.

The metal was chewed up during the said explosion/flywheel rotation.

Can't imagine that it did to much damage to anthing else..
JUST MY .02

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have never seen bearings that large in a starter bendix ~ always seen a bushing made of brass ~ personally i find it hard to beleive, not impossable, that brush springs made it from the inside of a starter to the bellhousing ~ i would at least check that all dowels from the flywheel are in place and that that all springs are there for the pressure plate ~ just my thoughts ~ if everything is reassembled you can still see the dowel locations through the inpection cover

good luck!!

·
Junior Charter Member
55 Posts
I think there are only three dowell pins in the flywheel and they are stepped. There are four rollers in the photo and five springs. Uh oh, where is the other roller? The springs in the pressure plate and clutch disc are coil springs. The springs in the photo are wound in a square fashion.

Everything is going to be ok.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts