Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coupe is finally legal as of 2 weeks ago. I did some shake down miles and decided I was ready to spend some time behind the wheel. The wife and the kids drove to the in law's place about 275 miles away for Labor Day weekend, so I figured I 'd go join them.

I woke up early on Sat. reset the ride height, and installed the splash shields. Everything looked good / worked minus the gas gauge. So off I went.

she ran strong. The only problem was the heat. Sat high was in the 90's, I still didn't have the ac running or the windows, and insulation installed.

Now for the return trip. I left a little earlier to avoid the heat. All was well until the car sputtered a few times, and eventually the engine quit less than an hour from when I started. My calculations were a bit off on the remaining gas. So for the first time in my life a had run out of gas and was on the side of the road. Fortunately i had planned for such an event and took out my 1 gallon gas can and filled her up. She started right up and off I went.

16 miles later .... Once again I was on the side of the road out of gas.

But as you see I almost made it. The gas station is visible in the background. So I make my way there only to see...

I had to laugh. I eventually made my way to another station and made it home uneventfully.
Lessons learned. 650 dp can dump alot of fuel. 22 gallon fuel safe fuel cell really only has 18 gallons of useable fuel. And most importantly I need a gas gauge that works.

·
ROOKIE!
1,385 Posts
Great story man! Glad you got through it and even though you ran out of gas, I bet you never stopped smiling!

Jeff

·
Charter Member
2,564 Posts
Mike,

These cars are all about the "adventures"! Mostly good but also learning experiences! Glad you made it home safely.

Garry

·
1,771 Posts
You went more than 250 miles on a tank? Thats a lot better mileage than I get. As soon as |I hit 200, I start looking. I drove 4 years without a working gas gauge -it was a real pain as I had a gauge and a sending unit that both had different resistivity ranges than what was listed on the box they came in. If you need a new Ford 16-168 sender, let me know, yours for the shipping.

Good to go on the shakedown cruise, eh. I enjoyed building but driving is more fun.

Regards, Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem was I "topped off" a few times. I thought I had quite a bit more gas in the tank. After filling it when it was completely empty I could get about 18 gallons of fuel in the tank. It took forever. It kept kicking off the pump. So my "topping off" that I thought I had done earlier wasn't even close to making it full.

The initial plan was for me to drive one of the kids back with me. Given the heat and noise, we decided against that.

Even with ear plugs, I thought it was loud. My old roadster was nothing compared to this car.

Mike m.

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts
The gas station was closed because of the "weather"?
WTF? :confused1:

Makes you wonder how they manage in places like Alaska in the winter..lol

So now you know you can get 16 mpg with it..:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get back on the road.

The same thing happened to me last summer. My fuel gauge went from 1/4 to empty in less than a mile and the engine quit on a major interstate. Luckily I was able to coast into a rest area.

After that incident though, I have a tough time trusting the fuel gauge...

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy Mike,

Wow! A 275 mile shakedown trip!

Glad to hear you made it safely with only a slight hiccup.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts