Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take a look at this pic and tell me if the speedo cable curve is too tight which could result in cable failure. My plan is to route it to the speedo through a dash support tube. I'm only concerned about the portion from the speed converter to the top of the tranny tunnel.

Thanks,
Greg

[ December 10, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Greg_M ]

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on guys, someone's gotta know if this bend looks OK or not.

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
Greg; I see you got the vss clamp on right. I can't really help you with the cable because I have an elec. speedo., but I would just install it with as few sharp bend as possible, and not worry about it. What I see in the pic looks ok, Short of kinking the cable sheath, it should take a pretty sharp bend.

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobradawg,

Yes, thanks for advising me ealier on the clamp. I have heard a few members say their speedo cable failed becasue of a sharp bend. The only bend in my setup will be the bend you see in the pic; from the speed sensor to the top of the tranny tube.

Anyone out there with a tighter bend? Problems?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
That bend is fine we have run much tighter with the reverse speedo at the dash.

Depending on what gauges you have the end will need to be modified but that not a big deal. If you do not need the VSS (you do not) we use a CA 3015 pioneer cable which eliminates the VSS and goes right on to the speedo which is threaded. (your cable is set up for the donor gauges). It also fits right in the tranny. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard,

I have Autometer 427 gauges with a 90 degree reverser on the back of the speedo. My plan is to shorten the speedo cable and connect it to the reverser with a pice of rubber hose and a couple of hose clamps. Is that OK/or is there a better way without buying another cable? That cable you mentioned connects right to the driven gear? I thought the thing I bought that connects the cable to the driven gear and pugs into the tranny was a called a VSS.

Thanks,
Grege

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Greg,
I,ve worked with these kind of cables alot in the marine business. That bend will be no problem at all. A liitle lube, not alot, will end up sitting down there because it's the low spot. Try to even out the bend so it's all about the same radius. Find a large truck repair business, they make their own speedo cables, and they can cut and put a new end on it for you. The cut and hose idea might work.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
Greg; I think what Richard is trying to tell you is that the pioneer cable eliminates the vss, and will hook directly to your speedo with no mods. By eliminating the vss, that might give you a wider bend in the cable also.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hard to see but I have seen some pretty tight bends that didn't fail. But I ran mine as the book says and in through the top of the footbox. If you do that Please, right off the bat, find a way to clamp it to keep it away from the header----it WILL melt and fail. Don't ask how I know this----------- toodizzy

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. The project is a go. I will keep all the hardware I have and shorten the cable as needed, feed it up through the left dash support tube and directly into the back of the speedo reducer. I will work out some kind of clamp using a piece of rubber hose and 2 clamps to keep in in place. I'll post some pics when I finish.

Greg

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished fabricating the dash support tubes and the two brackets that hold them to the tranny tunnel. The left tube will contain the speedo cable and route it the speedo reverser input. I will cut the cable and shieth to length and grind a new set of flats on the cable end to mate up with the reverser. The support tubes with be covered in black leather to match the dash. I will install a chrome fire extinguisher behind the tubes in the finished car.

Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
3,025 Posts
When you get everything hooked up, remove the end from the tranny and be sure the cable spins freely.

First cable lasted 3200 miles until I rerouted wiring and it got into the header. Second 1 less than 50, it was too tight. Third 1 I had to put a spacer on the speedo to keep it free.

·
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Narve,

I hooked the cable up today and spun it by hand at the trany end. It ran as smooth as silk. I chucked the end of the VSS gear into a drill motor and ran the cable/speedo up to 60 mph. The needle was rock steady at all speeds. I'm calling it good.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts