Factory Five Racing Forum banner

my sons first auto x

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Wade Chamberlain 
#1 ·
Hi guys
My 18 yr old son matthew ran the challange car on sat.. It was the Hershey 2 day event on the 27/28th. I rode in the scare chair next to him for all 4 runs and could not be prouder.
1st time ever racing anything
first time ever driving a C car ( other than moving it in the driveway )
first auto X.
I feel there is no better way to learn how to handle one of these cars.
he dropped a full 20 seconds between his first and last runs, and listened great.
He is now hooked and cant wait for next season.

We were joined by my brother who co-drove the same car.

I co-drove Brendans ( Leftover build ) 86 mustang built from left over parts obtained from FFcars forum members. What a great car.
Yes I beat him by 2 seconds in his own car. I was 5 seconds behind the challange car. not surprising since it is all stock V-8 mustang suspension.

Chris Allen also joined us in his coupe. It was his first auto X also.
Chris hadd his friend there with a mini, and brens friend brought out a Chevy cobalt SS.

It was a blast my wife even set up a buffet in the trailer for anyone that passed.
Chris was the only one to take pics. and I am waiting for him to share.

We had to skip the sunday run and evacuate our shop moving all the cars and equipment, in anticipation of Sally's visit.

well thats all for now
Later
Mark D

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Jeff
I cant wait to catch up with you and yours also.
You should have seen him. Not nevous at all, just focused.
By the last run He got out of the car vibrating like a power sander.
telling me where could pick up more time if he only had more runs.
Just wait till he gets to run it with the change over next year.

Bren and I beat his car like a rental. LOL
but we could not overcome the understeer. His car pushed like a D9 bulldozer. But having only 100 miles on the car since finished we had no development time on it.
He is now armed with good feedback and a positive path forward.
So now it is hold off on the twin turbos and design a new suspension. I know we could just throw money at it and buy off the shelf parts, but what fun would that be.
We have some crazy ideas and a great shop that ( thank god ) did not flood last night.
Later
Mark D

#5 ·
Mark: Saw your post on the intro forum. I did not go to the Auto-X in Columbus Ohio last week so I did not get a chance to test the changes you suggested because it was raining. It has been raining here for 4 days,we have lots of mud on the farm but we still have power. Coupe is done till next Auto-X season. My son also drives my Coupe in Auto-X when he can get to an event. He grew up racing motocross and has a different drive style then I do and the thing that really ticks me off, after 3 years of racing my Coupe and making numerous changes, when he shows I have only had a better time once in XP by .002. I have more fun at an Auto-X event when he shows up, it is a fun day. Did you guys like the A6 tires?
Thanks for the help:
CB

#11 ·
That is awesome Mark. As you know my son runs my car in HPDE events and actually in Autocross events. Pretty cool to see your son "Or Daughter" learn to handle a vehicle like this. My Son is about ready to pass me dang it. Keep him going and he will continue to improve and will ultimately take Dad to school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.