Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got an FFR number this long?? Man I was hoping for one of those cool 4 digit ones.

Here's my number: FFR1003892RD

I guess it will have to do.

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Looks like FFR is going for 12 digit VINs now, I'll bet you'll find that this VIN is attached to your frame when it's delivered as well. It'll help in registration if that is case.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
call them up and find out the logic in that number. doesn't make sense...they make a big deal out of shipping FFR5000, then they give you that number.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Dave Riha told me that I should be receiving a plate with the number.

Dan, I also thought there'd be a 5000-something in there. Makes NO sense at all :rolleyes:

Guess I will give them a call tommorow...

Regards
Kris
FFR #1003892RD (darn that sucks) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
As I recall the new VIN is 17 digits.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
That would be really sweet if FFR had real Vin numbers on real titles with their kits. that would eliminate a huge registration issue of inspection to get a Vin in most states I would think. Just walk into DMV and register as if you just bought a new car. Hmmmmm

·
4,494 Posts
FFR can't (and doesn't want to) issue a regular 17 character VIN like Ford, Toyota, GM, etc. Those VIN's are Internationally designated, indicate the vehicle is manufactured by a specific manufacture, country, etc., and are regulated by Federal and International law. FFR sells kits, which keeps them out of the loop of having to comply with all those laws like emissions, lighting, etc. All the FFR number (the Frame serial number not the kit number) is to establish a tracable frame number affixed by the manufacturer and is so noted on the MSO, so you can register your completed car and get a VIN issued.

What I don't understand is why in California they don't issue a 17 character VIN for SPCN's (our kit cars), just 8 or 9 starting with a CA.???

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cestnut...If you'll notice the time of my original post it was after closing time at FFR. I already sent an email to Dave Riha (who was the one that informed me of my FFR #) to try and get more details. I was just letting everyone know that I got my FFR number...finally.

I was a little disappointed that I did not receive a 4 digit number in sequence with the rest of my FFR bretheren
I am sure FFR made this change for the better. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss it until I get a response from them right ? :D

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
bill32,
Connecticut issues 7 digit vins to composite vehicles. They are CT followed by a 5 digit number. All it is is a little sticker on your frame...nothing fancy. I guess if I ever built another I could yank the sticker off the frame and put in on the new one and no one would know better. Seems like a pretty shabby method to me. They didnt check engine numbers or anything on my car. Gave it a once over and slapped the vin sticker on the 2x3 that is under the dash.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I got my response from Dave at FFR....

Does this mean my FFR number is 3892 ????????

"Hi Kris,

Sorry there is not a way to translate the number. The seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth space in the number relates to you chassis number now. If you look into the 2X3 tube in the driver side wheel well, there is a number welded into the chassis, and yours should be 3892.

Best regards,
Dave Riha"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts