Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Mk 3.1 that had a rough short life, built to a driving gelcoat car and then off the road into some trees. Body is toast, radiator and supports squashed but the frame is straight. I have a new 04 Cobra Terminator motor sitting here so that seems like the motor to put in the car. But it needs a little flair and a bit more HP so it's getting twin turbos to feed the supercharger. The motor is going to be controlled by an Electromotive TEC3R ECU and coil packs. A set of 95lb/hr injectors are installed to feed the beast with a MagnaFuel pump drawing the fuel through a garden hose sized -10 line. I picked up a MMR Tremec TKO 900 transmission, it starts life as a TKO 600 and then they put hardened gears, hardened input and output shafts to allow it to handle 900 lb/ft of torque. Transferring this amount of power to the trans is no easy task so I'm putting in a gorgeous Super Twin clutch from the newest forum advertiser Specclutch. It's a twin disc clutch with the pedal feel of a stock 5.0 clutch but can hold 900 lbs of torque with smooth engagements with an aluminum flywheel and pressure plate. They also have versions of the twin disc that can hold up to 1500lbs of torque as well as a complete line of single disc clutches (500-680 TQ street clutches). The kit came complete with an alignment tool, throwout and roller pilot bearings. I am going to use the Mk IV spindles/brakes and have Jeff at Whitby's painting a Mk 3 body Lexus Spectra Mica Blue with white stripes (hence the Mk 3.5 reference). The car has a 4 link rear end, 3.73 gears and drum brakes which I've already changed out for NorthRacecars.com cobra rear disc brakes, hardened 5 lug axles and put in some 3.27 gear with a freshened up TracLoc differential. The 4 link has been upgraded to the FFR 3 link, I even recycled the 4 link tabs to brace the 3 link bracket for the onslaught of power from the turbo/supercharged motor. A set of custom SpeedHut gauges will be put in the dash to keep tabs on the motor. A set of Nitto NT-05 tires will be wrapped around chrome Halibrand Cobra III wheels and running Porterfield R4S brake pads to stop the car. It should be fun and I'll have it at the London Cobra Show in June.

www.specclutch.com
www.northracecars.com
www.speedhut.com
www.whitbymotorcars.com

Here's pics of the chassis as it arrived.

·
Junior
1,520 Posts
Love that spec clutch. How much manifold pressure do you plan to have after the twins into the supercharger? ARP head studs? Just a thought after considering this setup on my old 03 Terminator. Going to be an insane ride!!! I think you'll need sticky tires, LOL.
Paul

·
Not a waxer
12,077 Posts
Fun stuff for sure Wayne!
Geez, 95#/hr injectors :w00t: Why dont ya' just plumb the fuel rail directly to the intake ports!
Looking forward to seeing you @ London (I think the last time you were there in something other than a rental it was with the 40)!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
yum...yum....

Very nice! one mean machine!

the final arguement on "how much horsepower is too much"....

Case closed!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
nice to see the chaulk gun in a picture again :D

·
Master of my Build
2,041 Posts
You mean something like this but in a much nicer skin?
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._compound_boost_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

That will be one sick roadster, can't wait to see the progress. You da Man!!

My guess is over a 1,000 horses. :001_smile:

Keep us posted on how you run all the exhaust tubing with the alternator on the driver's side. I am worried about this just trying to put cats on and you go and do something like this. Now I just feel plain silly.

Attachments

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I had to work on another car today and didn't get much done on my car. I was only able to powdercoat the valve covers and coil covers, pull the timing cover to put the Electromotive trigger wheel in place of the Ford piece, and ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds. They look better don't you think?

Before

After

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
And I thought I was crazy for porting the blower, installing a 4# lower, 63# injectors, and a Dragon SBTB. Good luck with the build. I agree with Chris. I am looking for places to put all the pieces in the engine bay and you are adding a lot of stuff. We will all be looking forward the tire wrenching acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
WAY better Wayne!

·
Not a waxer
12,077 Posts
nice to see the chaulk gun in a picture again :D
Forgot all about the caulk gun...I should have known :lol:
Now I have to go back thru the pics 'cause I missed it the first time through! Photos of Wayne's builds are like the old "Where's Waldo" game :wave:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
How big of an intercooler?

Or, are you gonna spray when using higher boost pressures?

You are having way too much fun!!!!!!!

·
3,875 Posts
A new definition for "over the top" can't wait to see the numbers this monster produces. Keep the updates coming Wayne.
Don

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Come on Wayne, don't go 1/2 way or wimp out. You might as well go all out and put that motor on the bottle too! :evil: Say a 100 or 150 shot of nitrous.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts