Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, i figure it's not far from home, and i'm one of the few people in the world that could do this, so why not?

I've been in the back lot of this building before, it seems to be either a skateboard warehouse or possibly a t-shirt printing place. But I understand that now the building has been sold. Maybe they'll turn it into lofts? I'm in!

I left the candles burning there in his memory, and for all the mechanics that worked there that may have also passed.

enjoy!

first, me getting ready. the lens in the camera makes the car look like Rolls-Royce Phantom proportions!!!

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
despite feeling a bit uncomfortable several dozen times when someone mentions The Man's name at car shows and the gas stations, i took my hat off and paused for a moment, just to pay tribute to him for what he has contributed.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,732 Posts
Fantastic Eddie!! Were you the only one there?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Very thoughtful tribute Eddie.

Nice to see your roadster out and about again.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Nice job and thanks for sharing, Eddie, we were there with you in spirit!

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
nobody else was there! if you look at the one photo from afar, you can see it's a weird little dead-end side-street, tucked away, just off the main road near the Venice Beach & Marina Del Rey border. only one way to get in, "no outlet" and the google streets van didn't even go in there. (yet they go thru most alleyways in Venice!) check out the address on google maps and google streets. there were a couple of hot chicks walking their dogs, but that was about it. this building is probably long-forgotten, but yet there are several classic car sales & muscle-car rental places just blocks from here. i have friends that live in the yuppie towers behind it, the same towers in that awful movie Skyline. He's got a picture of a Shelby on his wall, yet he had no clue the old factory could be seen from his window!

one cool story was i was about a half mile away at a traffic light. a guy all dressed up on his 10-speed bike worked thru the cars and said, "awesome car! are you rolling in honor?" i said, "yeah, how'd you guess?" he said, "i saw it on my facebook." i said i was headed down to the old Shelby factory, it's on Princeton behind the Harley Davidson. he said he had no clue, but he loves Shelbys, and was going to head down there.

similar story with a guy at a traffic light, he had this amazing Jeep Twin Turbo SRT-8 with custom exhaust and ??? it was a bitchin' car - i told him the address and he said he was going to GPS it and check it out.

after the photos, i grabbed a :beer: with my friend and headed home.

:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ah, yer a 'nice guy' after all... :001_tongue:
Cool and thoughtful.

·
Junior Charter Member
227 Posts
passing

If you ever make it to Ocean City Maryland the beer is on me. Thanks.

krusty

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Nice job, car is beautiful tribute as well

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Very cool Eddie.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Thanks for doing that. A nice way to honor one of the great ones.
Wayne

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
24 hour update....

my friend that lives a few blocks away checked on the candles, there are about 3/4 the way down, and it looks like they will burn one more night... he's guessing till just before midnight.

:icon22:

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

here he is with Steve McQueen, i am 100% sure this is the exact place my car is. you can see the ground going down slightly, and they must have framed in the garage door with a "real" door like seen in my photos. there is a gas (or water) pump in the shot, you can see it's been re-piped, that pipe goes in and out of the building and they've added a modern one.

but the rest is spot-on, the the light in the photo is there too, now a double-flood with motion sensor, and the windows seen on the side of the building match. you can see how the bricks line up on top of the door exactly. the metal "L" edge molding on the garage door opening is the same too.

i thought it may be in the rear courtyard, but the sun would never make shadows like seen in the photo in the courtyard. the photo is looking east, the sun is to the south (to the right and behind a bit.) photo probably taken about 3pm.

ironically, i'll be at the Friends of Steve McQueen car show just 1/2 mile from my house in about 2 weeks. i'm going to get some nice printouts of these photos and display them at the show.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Very cool pic of Shel and Steve - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks...

For representing all of us... Nice job.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts