Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I really did not want the bulky heater motor on the engine side, so I decided to fit the heater between the firewall and dash.
I have the firewall forward and I wanted the deep rear mounted glove box from AC custom interiors.
I also wanted the ECU behind the dash, this way I would not have any wire showing.
So after some work I came up with this.

ECU will go to the right of the heater core.

I hope that all works ok in the end!!!
Well the lower right gauge on the dash will be hitting the motor if mounted as Autometer intended because the bolts and mount will hit. But that is no big deal. Again, I hope.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Continuation....

Well I am bringing back a thread I had started a while ago because a forum member asked for some info. And this time I want some replies!!!:angry:
Just kidding. I just thought that it might help someone or at least just give some ideas for those who want to install the heater behind the firewall.
From the above pix you can see the box and the placement.

The back of the box (part to wards firewall) has no side. The firewall acts like the backing for it.
Also most of the bottom has no bottom since there is a bunch of metal there.
Just made the fabrication easier.
Now some problems with easy fixes.
First in a street dash, the upper right gage's mounting points (autometer)
hits the heater motor. This can be resolved by shortening the entire mount itself.

Here you can barely see the glove box (deep one-rear mount) and the clearance to the new heater enclosure.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the biggest problem or a potential problem if things go wrong.
I assume that most who have the firewall forward will also have the extended footboxes and probably the passenger side footbox. This makes the inlet/outlet of the heater be dangerously close to the fotbox corner.
Here you can see what I mean.

With the CAREFUL bending of the tubes I cleared the footbox...barely, but I 'm OK.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The aluminum I used was thin so I can manipulate it (not too thin) plus it does not require to be any thicker, it just needs to contain the air.
The silicon that I used was some stuff I stole from NASA....or was it the regular clear silicone I bought from Home Depot...can't remember, anyway if you read the back, it says it is good to 400 degrees. So it should hold up, plus everything is riveted to everything.
Well I was in a typing mood and in a mood to get you guys bored....:001_rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope that this post and the comments to follow (I hope there are some this time:sneaky2:)J/K will help someone in the near of far future.:wave:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Looks great. thanks for the pics. I also have the ffmetal FW forward kit and intend to mount my heater behind the dash. I will probably move it to the PS a little more as I have other plans for the space above the trans. tunnel where you mounted the blower.

What gauge aluminum did you use?

-Jon A.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, sorry I do not know the gauge aluminum it was. I got it Lowe's or Home Depot.
I go the thickest that I thought I could bend without a breaker (bender).
I just used my bench vise and a mallet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts