Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local event yesterday and did my first five 1/4 mile passes ever. I smoked the tires, bad wheel hop, then missed 3rd on the first pass, I made a clean run on my 2nd, but still lost traction off the line and in 2nd gear, The 3rd pass I missed 3rd gear again, then made 2 clean passes.

My best pass was 13.54 at 106. A better driver would surely have done alot better, and my 8 year old cooper cobra hockey puck tires didn't help traction at all. What a blast tho! I can't wait to try it again and next year an want to attend more drag events.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha, ya Mike, actually less than half a Km up here....

My tranny is a T5 with a pro 5.0 shifter, I guess I just wasn't jamming it far enough into place. I don't have the slips with me but my other ET's were roughly 13.68 at 107 and another similar.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
No doubt that would be a blast. :)

I bet some sticky tires will drop your times at least a second or more.

Ever try starting off in second gear? With enough power, and the 3.55 gears, I bet your speeds would climb faster. I find that with the 3.55's, your only in 1st for about two seconds..Be one less shift to blow too..lol

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked someone if I should try starting in second and they said no, just try to drive it off the line like you're on the street. I"ll definitely be doing it again, so I will give it a go next time.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
Be aware that if you start out in 2nd gear it can be very hard on the clutch. Decent tires can make a huge difference, as well as track prep. I would imagine your track season is pretty short over there, but I hear they are more reasonable as far as the tech requirements. Cheers.
Thomas

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tires!!

A good hookup will change your day! My local track does not like our cars and they will toss you if you go under 13.5--which you will do with a little more traction! Thomas has been banned, I have been banned (for 13.2 at 72mph!). Not a lot of fun here.
Enjoy the ride and get some grippy rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.