Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time poster, thought this might help the other bodywork newbs. I drove forward over a parking space barrier, ripped off the chin scoop and punished myself by learning fiberglass and paint work (car was painted by its first owner).

Materials:
  • Booth made in my garage from plastic sheeting and a wet floor, and $75 amazon LED shop lights
  • US Composites urethane resin and mat
  • Swim noodle sanding block, the radius matches the scoop radius perfectly
  • 3m urethane bondo
  • Urechem filler primer, bases and clear (thanks to the first owner for including them with the car -- do this!)
  • Harbor Freight $18 spray gun, HF water seperator, HF pressure regulator
  • This forum and lots of youtube videos
Result and what I learned:
  • What you hear is true, I put about 40 hours into bodywork and prep, and the final bases and clears took about 90 minutes.
  • Gun settings: 25 psi, medium to small fan, low paint volume until the clear (I was afraid of runs this detail area
  • I haven't wet-sanded yet but outside the blend line it isnt needed
  • I did about 4 bondo applications and sands and then three coats / sands of primer. I should have primered earlier because the primer made it lots easier to see.
  • I followed urechems mixing instructions and those ratio seemed to work well
  • The HF stuff all worked great. I dont know what I was missing by not spending more money, but for this job it was solid.
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_3006.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Amazing job - well done!

·
Snake Farmer
10,299 Posts
Good as new!:)
Now you just need to install a camera..

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,034 Posts
Well done. Sanding fiberglass and body filler sure is fun isn't it?

·
Junior Charter Member
666 Posts
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Junior Charter Member
666 Posts
I actually almost had the same fight with the front of my car trailer last month.

I’m sure it’s a common occurrence with these cars, now we all know how to fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I need to do a minor repair and need a compatible resin for the Factory Five body. When I checked the US Composites web site I found epoxy, polyester, and vinyl ester. I did not find urethane resin. Can you clarify?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts