Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know where one of these are at????

What do you know about these cars??

She lives in Providence RI and will be traveling down the east coast in early june.. could stop and look on the way.

she is a 34 year old surgeon and has never had but two cars, a Mazda Mx6 and an old Dodge shadow.. they were both good cars, but NOW she wants to REWARD HERSELF for all her hard work. :cool: :cool:

any help would be appreciated...

BTW, shes all ready married.

One more thing, she is relocating to Toronto for two years.. What does anyone know about taking cars to canada??????/

Earl

[ June 11, 2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
15,282 Posts
Toronto is a beautiful city. But she's gonna hate the weather there for 9 months of the year.

I have a good college buddy that has a Saab 9-3. He calls it his grapefruit. "It's great, but every so often it really squirts you right in the eye." If memory serves, Saab is a fully owned subsidiary of General Motors. Warranty and so on ought to be what you'd expect from an American company. Quality probably marginally higher.

Good luck to her on the car and otherwise...keep us posted.

Cheers, John

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Earl, how about a Chrysler 300...5.7 Hemi...that would be surgeonesqu....340hp....26 hwy....kicks arse, looks classy.....hope she got her looks from mom :D

·
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by j.miller:
Earl, how about a Chrysler 300...5.7 Hemi...that would be surgeonesqu....340hp....26 hwy....kicks arse, looks classy.....hope she got her looks from mom :D
I dont understand it, but the women in our family are quite pretty. All Blonds.

Man, you aint too much to look at, your self. :D :D even in tights. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

She wants a convertible.
and she wants Front wheel drive.

e
arl

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
Move to montreal much much much better than Toronto, the most europeen of all the cities in America, if she doesn't mind a bit of french, and we have a F1 grand prix... :D

as for importing a car into canada that can be a big problem, the car has to be DOT approved (the canadian department of transport and not the US one) some cars a legal in the states and not legal in Canada and there exist list of cars that are leagal and some not. The best example of this is the Cobra that is illegal to import into canada as a car but legal as car parts.

I'm also pretty sure you'll have some kind of a tax,

This can help you :
http://www.tc.gc.ca/pacific/faq/road/importation.htm

Nick

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's a dealership here in Winston that sells them. They do look nice, but I don't know anything about them. You should come by and check them out.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Toronto has 2 seasons, hockey and construction. Traffic can be very bad because of constant highway work. But its an awesome city.

I'm sure she may have problems bringing a car over the border because it may not meet our safety requirements. I think we need fog lights up here and they are not required on all american vehicles, so when you bring a car up here you need to retrofit them onto the vehicle, which may not be very easy.

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
I have to second Ozona's post. A friend of ours bought a brand new Sabb 9.3 convertable last summer. He is not a mechanical dufus nor a constant whiner. But he does expect what he pays for. He happens to be a lawyer with a masters degree in aeronautical engineering.

Since then he has had it replaced once under the Colorado lemon law. The car spent most of the winter in the shop for problems with the convertable top, and the second one has been in the shop 17 times since February when he got it. All for different problems, so the lemon law does not apply.

RUN, run far from Sabb

According to my lawyer friend if she buys it in the USA and then goes to Canada they have two totally different warranty (Service Agreements) in the two countries. Any necessary repairs could be a nightmare.

And the last thing you want is a pissed of woman with a knife that REALLY knows how to use it.

Have her look into one of the new Chrysler Crossfire convertables, they are built on the same chassis as the Mercedes SLK series. Great rewiews in the magazines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I am building a Coupe hear in Columbus, Ohio and I am in the high line car businerss. I sell more used Saabs than anyone in the area. I have 12 in stock today and can find anything she wants. If she likes to be different and likes 30MPG on the highway. Reliability is good, and they are well represented in New England. Glad to help..

Roger

·
15,282 Posts
Anyone ever seen a high-line car lot with 12 sobs on it? Down here, if you say "high line," something like BMW or Benz better be the cheapest thing on your asphalt! Can't afford most of it, but it does make for fun weekend looking.

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
Earl,
I'll add my $.02. I'd wait until I was in the country to buy anything. This worked well for me both in Korea and in the Netherlands. While I understand that Canada is closer, buying a local car has advantages when it comes to service. I'd take my old car and find something I like there. If there is a big advantage in the US price I'd probably register it in the US and drive it there. Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
159 Posts
I've got a 2000 Saab 9-5, and I love it. It gets 35mpg on the highway, it's comfortable, and it accelerates pretty well considering it's a 4-banger in a heavy car. As with any car you're going to have people who have excellent experiences and horrible experiences, so keep that in mind. What I find really nice is that the service guys at the dealership I bought it from are great. Since I got it used, it's factory-certified to 100,000 miles, and the service is a no-cost, "we'll fix anything that's bothering you" kind of deal. It's in the shop right now for a cold-start problem and they put me in a brand-spanking new 9-3 with 130 miles on it. So while I would highly recommend Saabs, definitely check out the dealership and the service area to see if she feels comfortable with them. Since she's moving to Canada that makes things a little harder, but look around to see if there are any dealerships in the area she's considering. There aren't many out here in northern IL, which can be a pain sometimes.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Vauxhall Vectra - The car sales reps aim to get out of into a BMW/Jag/Merc as soon as humanly possible. Nobody buys one for themselves, they're inflicted on company car drivers because they're very, very cheap to finance.

Saab 9-3 - Vauxhall Vectra in a posh frock, except that the Vectra handles better and has more torsional rigidity than a blancmange.

Has she considered the Audi A4 Cabrio ? Better car (massively), cheaper, front wheel drive.

btw: Blonde, 'quite pretty', into cars - any sisters ?? ;)

·
15,282 Posts
Audi A4 cab cheaper than a Saab 9-3? I'm not sure that's at all the case over here in the States, but it'd be nice if it were! :D Only A4 cab I've seen was nearly $40k, and was stylistic crap sitting next to the significantly cheaper 3-series BMW, IMO. Audi builds a fantastic automobile with some of the least-inspired exterior styling since...well, since I was born. I'd buy one for the Quattro system, or instead of a Saab, but can't think of much else that makes them very attractive to me.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
[smartarse mode]
Actually, yes, it is:

New list price '04 9-3 convertible 2.0LPT $39995

New list price '04 A4 cabriolet 1.8T $35970

New list price '04 A4 cabriolet 3.0 V6 $42520

The styling's a matter of personal taste. One man's boring is another man's subtly stylish

Also, front wheel drive was a requirement - rather ruling out the BeeEmm.
[/smartarse mode]

·
Senior Charter Member
688 Posts
OK, enough of the B.S. In reality the variation of new cars these days is very slim, meaning that you can't survive in the American auto market while trying to sell poor quality products. You can argue all you want, but the facts are:

1. Most all of the new cars available today are of good quality and are reliable.
2. Lemons exist in EVERY nameplate regardless of your ego. How a company deals with them differs, however.
3. A car is a machine and it will require both maintanance and repair. Niether the Japanese, Germans, nor enyone else has transcended physics, we all live by the same mechanical laws.

J.D. powers Vehicle Dependability study, which is a 3 year study (although I don't know all of the details), shows an ordered listing of makes as (highest quality on top):

Lexus
Buick
Porsche (although the new Cayenne is plagued with problems and is not included in this data)
Toyota
Cadillac
Lincoln
Honda
Saab
BMW
Subaru
GMC
Chevrolet
Oldsmobile
Mazda
Pontiac
Chrysler
Ford
Dodge
Audi
Mercedes-Benz
Jeep
Volvo
Mitsubishi
Volkswagen
Land Rover
Kia

I did not list them all, but it is arranged in the order of problems per 100 vehicles reported. I do not believe it takes into account the severity of a problem, so for instance a blown engine recieves the same weight as an emblem that falls off, as long as it is a reported problem. You can get your pants in a bunch and argue, but it is, nevertheless, factual data. Bottom line? GM does a good job. Saab's OK, and the German's, in general, are behind. Like I said, though, it is a very narrow bell curve, and it depends more on model than make, but in any case, IMO, one should not generally lip off about the quality, or lack thereof, of any nameplate, lest ye be deemed ignorant.

Tim

P.S. I really am a nice guy, and tend to be more on the jovial side, but it is tough to stand by and witness all of the regurgitated marketing generated beliefs to the detriment of people understanding the reality of the situation. Hope this adds, rather than detracts from the topic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts