Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the week link in my drivetrain today. I was doing some filming for the company and when I passed the film truck from 2nd to 3rd I heard a light popping sound like a clutch cable snapping. OH no that would be too easy. It turns out to be the clutch came apart. Did you know that you can't take the trans out by itself??? The good part is that I can take the clutch out without taking the trans all the way out of the car. The bad news is that I found out the hard way that I have more HP than the stock clutch can handle, or maybe that is good news that I have lots and lots of HP. Anyone else out there found a week link in their drivetrain?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
MKII or MKIII? What engine? Anyway, sorry about your misfortune, but you can take the tranny out of a MKII. It is a chore, but it's been done (I did it also). Hope you can get it together without too much trouble and get it back on the road. Pete

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another good thing was that when I was waiting for the flatbed to tow me home, some guy came by and said he has build 120 sports cars in his time including 4 cobras. He is 80 years old and has built 2 per year for the last 60 years. He said he has owned and sold almost every popular car including exotics. When he saw my Cobra he had to stop and say that Cobra's have always been his favorite and he would give me 40K right now. OK I've only got less than 1,000 miles on it and I'm not ready to sell it but he has my attention. If he said 43K then I might have said yes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MKIII and a small block 302 with OH my Lord HP. I've smoked the tires through 3rd gear and when I backed off, the spedo said 100 mph but I know it's off my 10 mph so it was only 90 mph. I would have gone into 4th but I ran out of road. Don't worry it was not on a public road and was safe for everyone but me.

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
All these stories strike me as odd since I get decent traction in every gear except first with mediocre tires, no tranny problems with only a T-5, and I have a dyno confirmed 400 rear wheel horsepower. You guys must have ridiculous rear end gears and skinny tires. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts