Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Success! All parts filed smooth and fitted. Will build a holding fixture and take to a welder.
Time to weld

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,542 Posts
Success! All parts filed smooth and fitted. Will build a holding fixture and take to a welder.
Time to weld

Very nicely built. Will you paint or PC it or leave raw?

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
It will be sanded smooth and left raw

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I remade the sides. I raised the front 1-1/2”. Now it more closely resembles the one I copied and better fits under the hood. There’s a small gap in one corner but I think it can be welded closed.

[/URL

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Looks good. thanks for the process photos. I would leave it raw.

And if you want to take it one more step, grab a softball sized handful of wheel bearing grease and literally throw it into each of the rear corners.

When these were raced, the grease helped to catch the sand, gravel, and track debris to keep it out of the carbs. But it really looks bad,. and a lot of people would not know the reason.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Fabricated and installed the hood hinge plates on the inner skin. All that’s left is fabricating the door hinge swing arms. Then off to paint

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Spent today making an aluminum door panel.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Added a notch the fiberglass for the door light wires to pass thru. Then sanded the panel with 220 grit and finally 400 grit.mthen countersunk the rivet holes. Time for other door

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Original 289 cars were fitted with windscreens manufactured by Elliott Windscreens of England. Most replicas are not so fitted. I added an Elliott Windscreen medallion and original style brass screws to the top inside of the windshield like the originals.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Original cars had a bracket welded to the body to which the hood prop rod was attached.

Since I can’t weld aluminum to the fiberglass, my only option is to mount it to the firewall with rivets

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Spent the last few days trying to find a picture of a 289 engine bay that shows the prop rod retaining clip. Today I found it.

And then searched for “metal prop rod retaining clip”. To my surprise, I found one. Made for early Jaguars. Ordered it tonight

Life is good

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hood prop rod and associated hardware installed.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Inner hood panel marked with location of the cold air box for the painter to cut. I’m not touching it

·
Registered
912 Posts
2Fast4u – Hi Bill,

A very belated congratulations on sticking with your build over the years, I am sure it will be worth it when completed. :cool:

Your cold air box really looks the part, but it was your Elliott Windscreens badge that prompted this reply.

As, after a bit of digging around, I can confirm that I actually live just a few miles from the original factory.
(No idea if the building is still there, but will swing by one of these days to take a look.)

Whilst they don’t contain detail engine bay shots for things like the prop rod retaining clip, you might still like the photos I took at the Goodwood Revival Meeting back in Sep.19.

Note: The link below seems to get ‘lost’ enroute, but the Cobra photos are in post #769.

Good luck, Paul. :)

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
I stopped going to FFRCARS for a number of years but I do remember Bill starting on the planning stages around maybe 2007 or 2008? And it was around that time frame when I took a leave from nearly all forums and was just enjoying my build, but in the last year, I started to revisit this site and I'm impressed on the progress you've made on this project. I'd almost give up my sign-in name to honor your build but considering I've used this name in many different forums, it would get too confusing. I had it in my mind around 2003, to purchase the ERA 289 FIA-Comp car as a kit and build it myself, but the 427 body grew on me quickly and I decided on that style instead, but my login stuck. ;) You're doing a fantastic job - will keep watching your progress.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Well, its time to take the car to Ken Pike for paint. Excited . It’s been a long 5+ years

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
All set to go to the painter

81 - 100 of 106 Posts